Chicken losing weight? Should I be concerned?

Jaxolotl

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2023
Hi folks,
So my Golden Laced Wyandotte, Choo-Choo, seems to have lost some weight as of recently. She’s about 6 or 7 years old. She weighs about 3.2 pounds. For the past few years, she’s had a few cases of bumblefoot, ranging from pretty mild to quite extreme. (I once had to pull out a kernel that was like the size of a dime!) Despite this, her wounds have healed up and I haven’t seen one of those signature black scabs in ages. Her injured foot has reduced in swelling, and unfortunately probably never will return to 100% normal, which leaves her with a little bit of a limp/hobble. She likes to take frequent breaks because of her foot if it’s bothering her. I’ve noticed she’s been losing a decent amount of weight, I can feel her keel quite prominently and her abdomen doesn’t feel as plump and firm as my other hens, I can feel some of her bones. She’s still eating and drinking plenty though. I’ve noticed some of her poops, which are watery and kinda white/tan. Sometimes a bit of green in there.
Should I be concerned? Is it just old age? Any ideas are much appreciated!!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Should I be concerned? Is it just old age? Any ideas are much appreciated!!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Boy, aging sure does change things.. including muscle size and strength. :hmm

Please describe your usual feed routine including treats and supplements in order to be able to make any relevant suggestions.

Have you ever had fecal floats done to check for internal parasite load or wormed?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Boy, aging sure does change things.. including muscle size and strength. :hmm

Please describe your usual feed routine including treats and supplements in order to be able to make any relevant suggestions.

Have you ever had fecal floats done to check for internal parasite load or wormed?
We have standard laying feed pellets always available to them in feeders. We usually give them scraps and leftovers as treats every few days, which they enjoy. I haven’t really looked into supplements ever for them. I usually try and give them plenty of grit and oyster shells, but we’ve low on those lately.

We also let them scratch around in their run, usually we allow them to free range, but they’ve been confined to the run and the coop as of late due to predators.

How does one perform a fecal float test? I’ve never done one.

We have standard laying feed pellets always available to them in feeders. We usually give them scraps and leftovers as treats every few days, which they enjoy. I haven’t really looked into supplements ever for them. I usually try and give them plenty of grit and oyster shells, but we’ve low on those lately.

We also let them scratch around in their run, usually we allow them to free range, but they’ve been confined to the run and the coop as of late due to predators.

How does one perform a fecal float test? I’ve never done one.
Most layer feed (in the US) is around 16% protein and 4-5% calcium.

So switching to a higher protein (18-22%) lower calcium feed (starter, grower, flock raiser, all flock, etc) still with the oyster shell (side consumption will go up as needed by active layers when not included with food) and grit on the side free choice would very likely benefit a bird her age.. presuming she is not laying as actively as she once did if at all??.. also noting that dual purpose birds such as Wyandotte do better with more protein than the minimum required for light bodied layers such as Leghorn might. Protein and carbs have the same energy (aka calorie count) but different amino acids (building blocks).. I've had a hard time finding calorie count on most chicken feeds despite often being easy to find on game bird and other pet foods.

In this instance the extra calcium *may* be taking up extra crop space.. and while chickens do eat to meet their energy needs.. there must also be a volume factor there.. only about 3% extra calcium.. but still since you're worried about her body condition, maybe worth mentioning. The excess calcium can be hard on the kidneys long term.. possibly causing a condition known as gout. (another type can also be caused by excess protein much higher than what I've suggested, in both cases there may be (is) a genetic aspect).

The droppings you describe don't sound particularly concerning but they can indicate some things and I'm certainly not an expert.

Here is a link on fecal floats.. They can be done at home, by a vet, or there are some mail in laboratories..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fecal-examination-in-backyard-chickens-101-part-1.75459/

Some folks may treat without a float.. especially if body condition is the main concern and it's never been done.

It's fantastic that you actually got a weight in addition to feeling her body condition compared to the others.. as now you can more easily compare her progression to her own statistics and see if what you're doing has any impact..

A personal note.. using 20% protein feed full time (with calcium source free choice on the side) significantly made a difference for my elder ladies.. as to how hard they enter molt or how easily they come through it.. as compared to when I first started keeping chickens and was told (and believed) I must use "layer". According to my research despite being only 2% digestible protein in their raw form.. feathers when they're growing in are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Not all proteins are created equal.. when possible include animal protein. Since you use #, I'm thinking you're not in a country where that's illegal.

The easiest way to increase caloric intake (if that was the goal) is by adding fat with higher density calories.. Some folks in extreme northern climates may do this when daylight hours are too diminished for intake to maintain body condition (meet energy needs). I do not believe you want to make your gal "fatter".. that's not the same as building more healthy tissue. Some high fat snack sources that are also good sources of protein would be meal worms, boiled & smashed or scrambled eggs, black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS is only 15% protein but has other great vitamins and minerals)..

So one thing I thought of that seems possibly unlikely but maybe worth mentioning (or not as I don't prefer to cause any undue fear).. Slow wasting is the most common seen symptom in elder birds with Marek's.. they may never have shown any other classic symptoms. According to the state poultry vet at UC Davis in California.. "marek's is ubiquitous in poultry keeping environment".. and noting that the vaccine when administered and allowed to set up properly only hides the symptoms and does not prevent the disease, but rather lets it spread undetected.

Please.. don't jump to the last conclusion.. even if it were true, it matters not. All we can do is our best husbandry practices and life will still take it's courses. All this is just stabs in the dark on my part on possible ways to help her.. sounds like she's had some challenges and as I stated earlier.. aging does see many body changes (part of your original question)..

If you were able to see a vet you might be able to get a prescription for meloxicam/metacam.. and see if it improves her comfort level and mobility. In some ways pain is good.. it limits our mobility and prevents us from injuring ourselves further in the event of some trauma. But chronic pain.. *can* depress.. well everything including intake. Sounds like she's doing her best to manage it.. and that may be enough??

As an avid over thinker, I hesitate to post because I know everything I say/do has another side or possibility. I do hope you get more feedback. Please always use your best judgement in accordance with your resources, flock goals, and understanding. Anyways those are some ideas, I hope they are more helpful than not.. and that she has many good days ahead! :fl

Back
Top Bottom