My latest chicken guardian

@Suzie, they are gorgeous!

Maybe some of you can speak to this. I've heard that GSDs are very expensive as far as health issues, but have you guys found this to be true?

This quote was from an article about the most expensive breeds to own: http://www.dogreference.com/11-most-expensive-breeds-to-own/16/

Quote re: GSDs:

I sure heard the coyotes tuning up around 4 a.m. Had to check to see if my cat was in his cat condo on the deck. He tends to hunt a lot lately, but he may end up being the hunted himself. A big dog around here would help keep those nasties outside the perimeter fence, I bet.

Last edited:
I am biased towards GSD's...I have been training them for many years and have bred some here in France..

I have five of them here...

Mom, Dad and three of the daughters...

With the right training they will be the most wonderful guardians!

Great choice!
there beautiful!!
love.gif

@Suzie, they are gorgeous!

Maybe some of you can speak to this. I've heard that GSDs are very expensive as far as health issues, but have you guys found this to be true?

This quote was from an article about the most expensive breeds to own: http://www.dogreference.com/11-most-expensive-breeds-to-own/16/

Quote re: GSDs:

I sure heard the coyotes tuning up around 4 a.m. Had to check to see if my cat was in his cat condo on the deck. He tends to hunt a lot lately, but he may end up being the hunted himself. A big dog around here would help keep those nasties outside the perimeter fence, I bet.
I would have to agree with some of the comments listed on the website you linked...

One of my GSD's had a digestive disorder...after many years of visits to my Vet...the problem was due to an enzyme deficiency...he was given a supplement and the problem was resolved...after spending an inordinate amount of time and money!

I also had a GSD who had a GDV...bloat...he very nearly died...he was only three years old when he showed symptoms...luckily I contacted my Vet immediately to tell them I was on my way to the emergency service...as usual...a Saturday evening...I won't go into details but I was told he would be dead within 12 hours...he survived despite the dreadful events...£4000.00 plus...the stomach was stitched to the stomach wall....

All dogs with a narrow and deep chest wall are susceptible to this happening...Great Dane, Greyhound....

As for hip and shoulder dysplasia ......none of mine have ever had a problem with this....a young GSD puppy should never climb stairs, nor be exercised strenuously....after 9 - 12 months you can begin to increase their exercise... I will say at this point that Labrador's and Retrievers are prone to both shoulder and hip dysplasia...

In the UK...GSD's are normally "Hip Scored"....I have never asked for any hip score results....none of mine have ever had any shoulder nor hip problem...good exercise is sometimes key to alleviating this and a sensible regime when they are young and developing muscle are so very important...

Are you bored yet ?

GSD's being a large breed will require more of any drug Vet prescription treatment due to their weight...

GSD's can develop "hot spots"...this is common also with Labradors...I cannot say that this may be due to any flea allergy..all of mine have very regularly been treated for tick and flea problems...my GSD male sometimes will lick a small area of his coat to the point where it becomes void of fur and he will continue to lick until the fur disappears and he will have no skin but bare flesh..it can become an obsession.....a Vet collar and betadine wash..followed with an antibiotic cream will alleviate this...

In essence...I will say here that all of my GSD's have been worth any amount of money I may have spent on them....

Any breed of dog can have any and all of the symptoms....

I am sold on my favoured breed....GSD's forever!

They are beautiful, certainly. My DH's family had a very old male when we first met. We didn't get another dog after my Kes died two years ago because we didn't think we could afford the unexpected things that happen. Kes had a bladder full of stones, necessitating surgery, a few years before she died at the age of almost 15. Food we can afford, but we may have to opt for a mixed breed with some Shepherd in it if we do decide to get another dog; they seem to have fewer issues than the purebreds do, hybrid vigor and all that good stuff.

I also had a GSD who had a GDV...bloat...he very nearly died...he was only three years old when he showed symptoms...luckily I contacted my Vet immediately to tell them I was on my way to the emergency service...as usual...a Saturday evening...I won't go into details but I was told he would be dead within 12 hours...he survived despite the dreadful events...£4000.00 plus...the stomach was stitched to the stomach wall....

All dogs with a narrow and deep chest wall are susceptible to this happening...Great Dane, Greyhound....

As for hip and shoulder dysplasia ......none of mine have ever had a problem with this....a young GSD puppy should never climb stairs, nor be exercised strenuously....after 9 - 12 months you can begin to increase their exercise... I will say at this point that Labrador's and Retrievers are prone to both shoulder and hip dysplasia...
Are you bored yet ?

I am sold on my favoured breed....GSD's forever!
I had a GSD bloat on me. Luckily, I knew what it was and got him to the E-Vet in time ($4,000). I have since started using break-fast bowls and I would never be without them for GSDs or other large-barreled dogs. And no.. not bored yet! LOL
I absolutely love GSDs. Smart, devoted, protective-without-being-stupid-about-it. My Loki LOVES my horses and so far ignores the chickens. They're comfortable enough around him to keep pecking for food now. LOVE your snow pic!
Loki comes directly from East German lines and all the way back for at least 7 generations have had hips and elbows tested and they're all ScHII or better, so hoping he'll be fine. He's super smart and adorable. I hope he grows into those ears and tongue!

Back
Top Bottom