my legohorn isn't breathing right!!!

peanut chicken

Hatching
5 Years
May 7, 2014
The other day my step daughter wanted to learn how to catch one of our four chickens. We have three diffrent breeds and she asked to catch our leghorn. We have a fairly long chicken run and the coop is an old shed we no longer use. To provide a emergency shelter for them if they get caught in the rain we extended the run along the house under the storm shutters and underneath one is a old door leaning against the house forming a small leanto. We herded the chickens into a corner and foghorn hide under the door so i had my daughter on one side and i was on the other. I tried to coax her out and she ran towards me and between my legs before turning back around and running chest first into the door. Its day two and ever since the injury she's been wheezing and doesnt want to move. I isolated her, shes in the house on my lap at the moment so i can monitor her and shes got her head down and im worried shes mot gonna make it. I didnt feel broken bonesor see any cuts or bruisesunder her feathers and ive been trying to figure out whats wrong with her but naturally the internet comes up with chicken reciepes. Can some please help me?

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your leghorn. She might have injured her airway or trachea, or an internal organ or heart. Is there any balloon-like swelling around her neck or check that might indicate a leaking air sac?? I would just keep her quiet, and try to get her to take fluids or a wet gruel of water and feed. Scrambled eggs are also something that may make her eat.

Thank you. She seems to be sleeping right now but shes still wheezing, she drinks if you dip her beak in water. I havent tried feeding her yet but ill try the suggestion. Again thank you typing into a search box that your chicken is wheezing because she ran into a door doesnt bring up a lot of useful information

Back
Top Bottom