Chicken i thought was egg bound?

Kitty2631

Chirping
Dec 18, 2022
Canada Bc Williams Lake.
Hello my chicken seems to be almost swollen and it feels very firm under her vent area i thought egg bound but dont feel any eggs in there. Her poop is a bit runny but still has some hard but she doesnr poop lots its just little ones its also yellowish white shes had this sneeze for 2 days and she opens and closes her mouth everytime i pick her up like shes almost struggling for air her breathing seems a little heavier i put her on her side and she didnt even try to get up she hasnt been jumping on the roosting bar but she walks around everyday eats and drinks please please please helpp i hope you can see i suck at pictures

Attachments

• 20231122_213531.jpg
    20231122_213531.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231122_213459_(1).jpg
    20231122_213459_(1).jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231122_213424.jpg
    20231122_213424.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231122_211952_(1).jpg
    20231122_211952_(1).jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 7
Sounds like she may have some fluid in the abdomen which is a symptom called Ascites.
It can be hard to know what's causing the fluid, but a couple of common things is reproductive disorders (Cancers, EYP, Salpingitis, Internal Laying, etc.) and/or organ dysfunction/failure (heart/liver).

When you pick her up, this puts pressure on her abdomen, so it can be uncomfortable. So be sure to support her abdomen when she's picked up and instead of just holding her for examinations/treatments, stand her on a table/let her stand on her own, this will help.

Some folks drain the fluid if the hen is in distress, having difficulty breathing, etc. Draining is not cure and is part of supportive care and comfort measures that can be giving to the hen.

When a hen is suffering from a condition like this, often it's very uncomfortable to roost, so they choose to sleep on the floor. Be sure to provide her with clean bedding in her chosen resting place, watch to see that poop is not accumulating around the vent.

If she's eating/drinking/relatively active and interacting with her flock during the day, you may want to just monitor her.

Sounds like she may have some fluid in the abdomen which is a symptom called Ascites.
It can be hard to know what's causing the fluid, but a couple of common things is reproductive disorders (Cancers, EYP, Salpingitis, Internal Laying, etc.) and/or organ dysfunction/failure (heart/liver).

When you pick her up, this puts pressure on her abdomen, so it can be uncomfortable. So be sure to support her abdomen when she's picked up and instead of just holding her for examinations/treatments, stand her on a table/let her stand on her own, this will help.

Some folks drain the fluid if the hen is in distress, having difficulty breathing, etc. Draining is not cure and is part of supportive care and comfort measures that can be giving to the hen.

When a hen is suffering from a condition like this, often it's very uncomfortable to roost, so they choose to sleep on the floor. Be sure to provide her with clean bedding in her chosen resting place, watch to see that poop is not accumulating around the vent.

If she's eating/drinking/relatively active and interacting with her flock during the day, you may want to just monitor her.
She has been eating and drinking and walking around with the flock. Ive felt her crop this morning and its almost empty not fully tho which worries me a little is that part of it too? Is there anyway to help her or is she gunna pass? :(

Shes only over a year old

She has been eating and drinking and walking around with the flock. Ive felt her crop this morning and its almost empty not fully tho which worries me a little is that part of it too? Is there anyway to help her or is she gunna pass? :(
What do you feed including treats?

I'd re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, see what it's like then. If it's still not emptied, then I'd begin addressing that by giving coconut oil and a massage twice a day. The article below will help you with accessing the crop.

A crop can become slow when there's swelling or inflammation in the body, so it's not uncommon.
Treat symptoms as they arise.
Since she is so young, having fluid is not a very good sign. You could try giving her Aloe Detox to see if that will help with the fluid instead of draining.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'd re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, see what it's like then. If it's still not emptied, then I'd begin addressing that by giving coconut oil and a massage twice a day. The article below will help you with accessing the crop.

A crop can become slow when there's swelling or inflammation in the body, so it's not uncommon.
Since she is so young, having fluid is not a very good sign. You could try giving her Aloe Detox to see if that will help with the fluid instead of draining.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I give them their feed and for treats i give them pretty much everything i try to google it before i feed just to make sure tho i dont think ive really given them anything horrible except bread here and there ive been giving them mealworms the last little bit trying to get their feathers to grow back ill tell you what feed i give in a minute! Shes trying to lay down tonight but struggling 😭 its breaking my heart

This is their feed

Attachments

• 20231123_205232.jpg
    20231123_205232.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231123_205228.jpg
    20231123_205228.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 6
I give them their feed and for treats i give them pretty much everything i try to google it before i feed just to make sure tho i dont think ive really given them anything horrible except bread here and there ive been giving them mealworms the last little bit trying to get their feathers to grow back ill tell you what feed i give in a minute! Shes trying to lay down tonight but struggling 😭 its breaking my heart
:hugsI'm sorry

Back
Top Bottom