My leukemia's back.

@bruceha2000 your posts bring to mind a thread I was reading yesterday about a guy in FL. A raccoon was after his chickens then got into his house, the guy trapped it and drowned the coon. A neighbor reported him and now the guy is in jail.

Be careful, you never know who's watching!
That is why I do not process outside. I kill in the garage and the process in the kitchen. No one knows so no one can report it!

I have very little privacy in my yard since we cleared all the trees away from the house and shop, and cleared from garden to road. Folks traveling down my little dead end road get a full view of the front and back yard both coming and going. However, what I do on my property is my business. I try not to process during high road traffic times, and won't process when school bus is coming (for sure!!!). But, if someone is troubled by seeing a couple cockerels hanging from my clothes line in various states of undress, that's their problem, not mine.

Thankfully, most of my neighbors are reasonable. One neighbor actually drove down to my yard one day to warn me that a large porcupine had crossed her yard, went into woods on my side of the road, and was headed my way. (my grand dtr. was playing at her house at the time, so she was on high alert). By the time she actually got to my yard, the varmint had wandered out of the woods, and was toddling across the front lawn. I kept an eye on it while Hubby went in, grabbed and loaded a gun, then shot it. It was a coon who was masquerading as a porcupine. She was completely loaded with quills. Net research says that a coon that tangles with a quill pig is most likely rabid or has distemper. We've had to take down a number of coons in the middle of the day that were sickly or exhibiting strange behavior. One such animal chased my car the length of the road, and then chased a neighbor all the way up to his front door.

I hope you all have lots of energy to prepare for tomorrow.
Good-Morning-With-Breakfast-wg0180746.gif

@bruceha2000 your posts bring to mind a thread I was reading yesterday about a guy in FL. A raccoon was after his chickens then got into his house, the guy trapped it and drowned the coon. A neighbor reported him and now the guy is in jail.
I found this:
"As mentioned above, under Florida law, any “nuisance” animal caught in a trap must either be humanely killed or released on the same contiguous property where it was caught"

Seems like maybe the "crime" was drowning it? That isn't very humane. But he likely didn't have options, probably would have been in a lot more trouble if he did it with a gunpowder firearm which is more humane. I guess he could have called animal control and see if they would dispatch it. Still, I can't imagine killing a coon "inhumanely" would be a jailable offense, more of a minor misdemeanor fine "crime".

We've had to take down a number of coons in the middle of the day that were sickly or exhibiting strange behavior. One such animal chased my car the length of the road, and then chased a neighbor all the way up to his front door.
:eek:
Geez, if that were to be common here, heck with the family, I'd be looking at real firearms.

Back
Top Bottom