My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    [​IMG]

Green Chile Cheeseburgers and fried Chile strips!

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    One Scottish Pastie, comin' up! Not sure about the Bunny Cake...when I cut into it, kinda looked like an autopsy. Might slip that back into the truck.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    @Blooie - got a recipe for the pasties? I absolutely adore them and am always on the lookout for new variations.

4. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Me too, love them. Yes, recipe please!

5. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Yea! PARTY TIME EARLY!!!! Thank you God for that gift of time! [​IMG]
    Irises are ready!

[​IMG]
    Chocolate is ready to be shared.
    Yea! Have a fun day Rachel!

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    This is almost embarrassing....because it's just leftovers and cheater gravy. Well, since there's just me and Ken, when I make a big beef or venison roast, pasties are usually the third meal we get from that roast. First leftover night, roast beef or venison hash. Always. No deviation. Second night, stew. Third night, Pasties. There's no secret to mine. I don't use onions in the initial roast, because on hash night we like fresh cut up onion strips to get crispy during the frying, and if I put onions in the roast the night before, it gets too oniony. Just seasoned beef, carrots, potatoes and beef broth. I make beef gravy with the drippings. I hold out one portion of the beef for the next night's hash, then put the leftover potatoes, carrots and gravy in a separate container for the stew.

I cheat and use McCormick brown gravy packets added to the leftover gravy in the beef stew, mixing a couple of packets with half the water it calls for. Making gravy from those packets is nasty, but when you cook it WITH the rest of the meat and such it is really good. I add some frozen peas, green beans and corn. And we enjoy the beef stew.

For the third meal I make up a double recipe of pie crust - or buy Pillsbury, depending on how lazy I'm feeling - and roll them out thin, cutting into 7 inch circles. Fill with the warmed up - not hot - leftover stew. That prewarming is critical if you don't want a soggy crust and I just take the chill off it. Plop some in the middle of the crust circles, fold and crimp, then brush with beaten egg and Kosher Salt, and back for 30 minutes or so at 350.

So you see, I cheat. A lot. But it works. Now, we don't always have it three nights running. We do always do the hash on night two, but I can freeze the other portion of meat, gravy, taters, and carrots and just get it out when I want to make stew. I've skipped the stew part and just made Pasties the next night, but I feel like I've wasted a meal. I grew up learning to use leftovers, and to make extras whenever possible so there was always enough left over to do stuff with.

Edited to add: You can always just skip the big roast part and go straight to the pasties. Make up your favorite stew recipe, just a little dryer than normal, let it cool while you make the crust, and you're all set.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    @Blooie - NOTHING to be embarrassed by there -- work smart, not hard and using leftovers is one of my favorite things to do. Heck, sometimes I look forward more to the leftover dinner than the original meal itself - especially with roast (have one cooking now that I am more excited about the stroganoff it will be in tomorrow than the roast we will have tonight, lol)

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Leftovers - the BETTER meal. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    My son has a theory. He says "If you won't eat it cold or leftover, you probably shouldn't eat it hot and fresh." [​IMG]

I need some more of that green potato salad, please.....need to wash the chislic and beer down. Thank you.

10. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Some things are better cold and left over. That used to be the only way I would eat fried chicken. I still like cold bacon....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by