My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C home again! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi Rachel, glad to hear you are doing better. Sounds like Honey really "stepped up to the plate" with dinner last night. He likes you, he really likes you (said in a Sally Fields voice), lol.

Morning Hbh, glad to hear you're all home! I looked at that website too and was absolutely amazed by their iris selection. That would be tough to keep the tab down. Thanks for the compliment on the sunflowers, I've really enjoyed having them. Hopefully, we'll be able to get some of the dried seeds off them for the chickens (if the squirrels don't get to them first).
  2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I hope she feels better soon.
    I get upper respiratory infections, and... I know the misery.
    I put ice in zip lock bags and lay them on my chest. It seems to help the coughing. I know they want you to cough it all up- but it gets to the point I think, that your body needs a break from coughing so it can rest.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Sounds like good news for a bunch of folks around here - even if the kiddo didn't think so.[​IMG]

Sorry, I'm not bein' more yakky, but I have a gorgeomongous morning out there, and it's gonna be hot, so I need to get my outside stuff done while it's still nice for doing it.

Hope y'all have a great day!
  4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Good morning one and all! Wasn't on much yesterday - my granddaughter Little Diane and her husband flew in on Saturday are are staying until next Sunday. (I'm Gramma Diane - she's named after me.) So we've been busy visiting and being silly! I pop in when she goes to visit some friends, is in the shower or whatever. Grampa's been keeping himself and Dustin busy out in the yard. Never ignore the opportunity to put 22 year old muscles to work for those jobs that are a little tougher for 67 year old muscles to try to tackle alone!

@hbhoffman Glad you are home and that the news wasn't as serious as first thought. Those fast moving viruses and upper respiratory infections can be scary things, though. Four attempts to get an IV in reminds me of a story.

I was in the hospital for 10 days - in fact my ordeal began 14 years ago yesterday. On May 30, 2001, I was fine. I'd had a lipoma removed from my hand several days before, the sutures were out, steri-strips were beginning to fall off, and it was healing well, except for one little spot. The load of manure came for the garden, so I put on vinyl gloves under my gardening gloves and helped Ken unload it. That was on the 29th. The 30th my hand was a little sore and swollen. On the 31st I was in St. Vincent's emergency room signing permission for amputation and being prepped for surgery. I had gangrene. So began an ordeal. Every night I was NPO in case they had to take me to surgery the next morning and amputate. I was on IV antibiotics 24/7. There were 3 being used. When a bag of one kind emptied, another kind immediately took it's place. Antibiotics like these are hard on veins. IVs were blowing left and right, and it was getting harder and harder to get a replacement one in. Finally one night when Ken and a friend and his wife were up to see me, I had a major blowout in the IV site. So the nurse came in and tried to start another one. Remember that I couldn't have one on the left side where the gangrene was, so sites were limited. Finally she said, "I'm going to get a flight nurse in here - he'll be able to get it with no problem."

So in comes this kid, wearing a flight suit was but he probably wasn't even shaving yet, and he was so quiet and shy looking. In fact, he looked like he'd blush if he saw a table leg uncovered. He sat down next to me on the bed and patted my good hand. He smiled softly and said, "I'm gonna make you a deal. If you'll sit very still and let me get a little numby stuff in right here, I'll get that IV in really fast." So I patted his hand right back. "And I'm gonna make you a deal," I replied. "I'm gonna hold on to your testicles and if that IV going hurts I'm going to squeeze." I heard this loud cough coming from Ken, and our friends were laughing so hard they stepped out of the room. And he got that IV in! I think the fact that his face was so bright red gave him just enough extra light!!
    3 people like this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Things are looking good for many today = that's a good thing.

Rachel, got to love creativity. [​IMG]

edited to add "good" - duh [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Have I mentioned how much I love you guys?

Hb--glad things are going well and you're back home. Hospitals are full of nasty scary stuff and you should get out of there as soon as you can! It's funny about the menu, though....I was telling Honey one good thing about being in the hospital so much is the basically all you can eat salmon. Both hospitals offer a salmon entrĂ©e, and it's really pretty good. We don't eat it a lot at home cause $$$, so I feast when I'm admitted [​IMG]

I should have approached the iris farm and negotiated a commission, huh? Glad you're enjoying the shopping. Wish I could have gotten some good pictures from the overpass where you can see acres and acres of iris blooming, it was quite the sight.

So, another joyous day of sofa arrest. I think Eve is ready for me to leave again, she's getting bad about sharing the space. Spoiled thing.
  7. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Enjoy the couch while you can, sounds like Eve wants it back already! I'm not a "chatty" poster, but I think of you often and am glad your recovery is moving along.
  8. N F C

N F C home again! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Rachel, enjoy your couch time today:

Have a restful day (Eve will forgive you, eventually, for taking the couch).
  9. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Does your couch look like this:

Or this?

Or this?

1 person likes this.
  10. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Love the pics @hbhoffman . Very glad all is going well and hope it's a comfy couch Rachel[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by