My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Rachel, it's great to hear you so upbeat! And cobbler for breakfast is nothing more than fruit and bread (well, mostly), sounds great for breakfast [​IMG] No judging here, just wishing I had some too, lol.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Cobbler is a perfect breakfast. But, Rachel, for someone who needs to be pacing themselves, and resting A LOT, you certainly have been busy. Take it easy girl... slow and easy... You know what I mean!!!??? Glad things are looking up for you on all fronts.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nope, she doesn't know what you mean. "Take it easy girl... slow and easy." is a foreign language to our friend, Rachel. [​IMG]

Cobbler sounds like a balanced meal whenever - well, as long as you add a little bacon or fried ham slices.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks all. I do feel kinda like someone slipped me some prednisone, just more energy than I was used to. But I like it!

I am pacing myself. The salsa was a two-day project. One day for prep, one day to do the peaches and cook and process. I got one meatloaf made last night. I've got to deal with the rest today, the meat needs to be frozen and the shrooms I bought won't last forever either.

Been spending more time just hanging with my boys, which is nice. Taught Big Boy how to make chimichangas last night [​IMG]. he's still not thrilled about the hot oil, but he did great. We have a "part-time kid", BB's friend who has a crappy home life and spends a lot of time here. He was fascinated with making cobbler this morning and was eager to help, so I didn't have to do much.

It would be embarrassing to admit how many episodes of "Chopped" we all watch each day [​IMG]

Going to take Big Boy for his driving test now....[​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck to Big Boy. Grandchild # 3 just got her license.

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Oh my... driver's licence... We're on vacation, and child free for the week. Loving it. Getting to do what other couples our age get to do! (the empty nest thing!)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He passed with 90%. The tester was very complimentary about his driving skills. Guess all those trips to Portland did some good [​IMG].

And, our little family of 4 is becoming a family of 5, it looks like. Our "part-time" kid has accepted our offer to live here permanently. I'm so happy! We'll need to peruse guardianship (I think adoption is kind of a moot point as he's 17 already), but we moved his things to our house today. Seriously, one small basket of laundry, an extra pair of shoes and a computer. He's got a desk he'd like to bring over when the truck's available. That's it for his belongings. Makes me sad, my kids have so much crap. Anyway, our goal is to get his documentation, start on a learner's permit, get a job if his grades permit, and eventually get him through high school. He's a year behind, and if he kept living in the same situation I don't see how he'd ever finish school. IMO that's the most important thing a person can do for their future--if you don't finish high school, you're pretty much hosed when it comes to making a living. there will be adjustments of course, we all know that, but I feel it's an important thing to do.

1 person likes this.
  8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Kudos to you Rachel for taking on this obligation when you already have so much on your plate. Reminds me of one of the Christian songs. A recurrent phrase in the song is: "If not me, then who?" The singer is lamenting the state of the world, and asking God why he doesn't step in and do something to fix the mess. God replies, "I already did. I made you."

1 person likes this.
  9. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Rachel, bless you and your family for adding member #5, it sounds like he really needs a family that cares about him (and he probably needs someone to care about too). [​IMG]

And big congrats on your son's passing the driving test, that's a milestone!

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Children need to know that they are worth it. Thank you Rachel, husband and boys for saving a heart and soul. It may not work out for him, but he may also soar to unbelievable heights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by