My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    We've had all of our fairs already. We were not involved in any of them. I have not signed my DD up for 4H yet. She would love to show chickens and we will probably sign her up this year. So glad I didn't sign her up this past year because Ohio ban showing chickens this year to help avoid the spread of bird flu.

2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning everyone!

Outpost, I've read on here of several states banning poultry shows at their fairs this year. Hope before next year the flu will be gone and the fairs can have the shows again. To me, that's one of the best parts about going!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Here in NJ there were no poultry at the fairs. Not certain if it was an official ban or not, but guessing that it was.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know they debated a bit about having a live poultry show here this year, because we did have AI. But no cases reported since Feb, from my understanding. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much about seeing nice birds. Last year, there was a Faverolles cockerel with the worst scissor beak I've ever seen, pinned with a ribbon. I know it was 4-H and all, but what is that teaching the kids? Oh yeah......"everyone's a winner" . I hate that.

Labs done this morning, no transfusions needed [​IMG]. Had a bad case of sitonyourbuttitis yesterday, but am feeling refreshed today and have errands to run. And meat to get in the freezer, if I get a boy to do the dishes and give me counter space to work. They've been on a stay up all night and sleep all day kick.....that's got to stop, with school starting. Tell the truth, besides the chores I don't mind so much. I like having the house quiet and to myself during the day. We all need school to start lol.

5. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Rachel, that is the best news I've read all day..."Labs done this morning, no transfusions needed". [​IMG]

I raised 2 boys of my own and I used to love hearing all their racket. Enjoy!

6. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    We just missed the poultry ban date! If the fair had been a week later, we would not have been able to take Tolly to the 4-H pet show and the huge poultry barn would be empty.
    Rachel, can I borrow your honey's finding the great sales acumen? Seem to have lost mine I've the last 10 years. Enjoy the sales but wow, you two make me tired! ;-)
    God bless everyone here with a smile or a laugh or a good memory today!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Hi Rachel! I know I've been MIA for a year, and I was sorry to see your post about your leukemia coming back when I stopped in to do some research this morning. My heart was in my throat as I clicked the last page of this thread--I'm so glad you're still with us.

I have been doing a lot of hands-off chickening this year; just letting my new flock grow up until I knew what quality I have. I plan to cull cockerels this weekend so I was reading Marans and Ameraucana SOP threads for hours last night trying to figure out who's getting sold. Of course, what a year for me to go from egg production to bird breeding, since AI has shut down every poultry show in the state of Ohio. At least the Dept. of Ag. is doing testing for free, and I'll get notified if AI comes within six miles of us.

1 person likes this.
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Rachel, best news I've heard all day!!!! Yay labs!!!

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yippeeee!!

10. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Yes. Ohio had a ban this year. If they do, we have rabbits! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by