My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Bless your family for doing this! Rachel, there will be times - plenty of them - where you'll wonder if you are doing the right thing....if you are truly making as much of a difference for this kid as you hoped to make. You are. I remember sitting at the table one night after Jamie and Little Diane had gone to bed just crying. We weren't young anymore, money was super tight, and we'd settled into a wonderful retirement. Starting over was so overwhelming, and knowing the kids had to sit through hearing after hearing listening to their mom plead guilty to child neglect and abandonment was taking a toll on their behavior. I cried so hard that night, wondering how we would ever know we were doing the right thing and if we'd ever know if we'd made a difference.

I questioned everything when we went to court and got full custody of 2 of our grandkids away from their mother (our daughter). We've had custody of him in one way or the other, off and on, since he was 2 years old. We got full legal custody when he was 11. Both of the kids were born to different husbands. The older boy, Jamie, dreamed of going into the Navy and serving on submarines when he was just 11 years old. He not only did it, he attended Nuclear Power School and became a nuclear reactor power plant operator on the sub. Somebody believed in him and gave him a safe place when he needed it most. He stayed with us and graduated from the local high school. He did the rest all on his own. He met and married a lovely young lady and so far they have 2 little ones. His first son, Landyn Kenneth, was named after his grampa Ken.

Little Diane was named after me. We had custody of her twice, the first time when she was 6 years old and we got them both. After a few years we were talked into allowing her to go back to live with her dad. We didn't want to, but the councelors and our caseworker thought it was safe to separate them and have her back with a natural parent and his new wife. Mistake. She ran away at 16, was on the National List of Missing and Exploited Children, and after she was found and served her time in Juvie she ended up living on the streets of Sioux Falls. We went back and got her when she was 17. Within a month here she had her GED, a job, a Wyoming driver's license and a new sense of self-worth. Somebody believed in her and wouldn't allow failure. She recently got married. Guess who she had walk her down the aisle? Yep, Grampa walked proudly on one side of this beautiful bride and her dad was on the other. When she asked Ken to walk her down the aisle, we hesitated. After all, we'd helped her dad get custody of her after she'd been here with us for a few years. She said, "Dad gave me life, but you and Grampa saved my life."

Both kids refer to this beat up old trailer as "home". Ask them where they're from and they list Cowley as their hometown. You can do this. He can do this. And your family will be richer for the experience!

2 people like this.
  2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Blooie, your experiences with your g-kids gave me goose bumps. You have a big heart and that's a powerful thing to have. Bless you!

3. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hard to go into Walmart and see your granddaughter on one of these on the "missing kids" wall.

[​IMG]
    But within a month of us getting her back, she had her GED.

[​IMG]
    Her dad, Little Diane, and Grampa walking down the aisle.

[​IMG]
    Every vacation Little Diane and her hubby come home.

[​IMG]
    Celebrating the first time we got temporary guardianship of Jamie.

[​IMG]
    Just some of what he achieved in high school. He lettered in football, track, wrestling, orchestra and chorus.

[​IMG]
    The day Jamie graduated from Nuclear Power School. His grampa flew down to South Carolina to be there for him, in full uniform!

[​IMG]
    Jamie's little ones - Landyn Kenneth, Madelyn Grace.

I have no reason for sharing these except that talking about the years we raised them brought out the doting gramma in me! I'm really proud of the adults they've become. Okay, I'm done. <red face>

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    4 people like this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know it's not always going to be easy, but I really feel he's such a good kid. He's been through all this horrible home life, yet never been in trouble with the law. He's clean, polite, respectful, and asking to have chores to do [​IMG]. He really, really seems to want a home. I look around and think, wow, if this looks good to him.....bless his heart. I've never been the super maternal person, our house is not the place all the kids hang out, but God just put this boy on my heart. He about broke said heart yesterday when he was telling us how much he's "worth" as a tax deduction....wow. That's just not how a child should think of themselves, but apparently in his life that's been a big issue, who could claim him. Anyway, can't think on that too long or I get all teary [​IMG]

My parents and Honey's parents both took in young men, so it's not unprecedented for us. If you would have seen either of them as a teenager and known his background, you would have sworn he'd be in and out of jail, or just scraping by all his life. They're now both still married to first wives, almost 20 years, housefuls of kiddos, successful in careers, etc. So, I've seen how a person's life can be changed just by what we take for granted. Like Blooie said, usually all they need is someone to care about them and take an interest. They're not bad kids at all, it's just that no one ever cared one way or another.

finally got all that burger either eaten or in the freezer. Then Honey came home with 10lbs chicken breast and another 10lb bag of ground beef yesterday.....I'm glad he's finding good sales, but this is getting to be a lot of meat to deal with. some of the chicken may just go in the freezer whole breasts. Or maybe I need to get off the computer and deal with it---what a shocking thought!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Everyone needs to know that they matter. It is the basis upon which we build and grow.

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Just stopping in to say Hi[​IMG] and so happy you are doing well and that you can make a positive influence in someone else's life[​IMG]

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I think we need to talk to Honey and ask him to skip a couple of sales until you get caught up! If you work any harder I'm going to keel over from exhaustion! [​IMG]

8. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    WOW, you all! So much in so little time. ;-) This group doesn't stand still for very long!
    Rachel, Thank you for giving someone a home and refuge. Wish I could send you a quilt or blanket to welcome him! What colors does he like? [​IMG] Sending hugs for now. Going to bed as it is fair week here. We were out the door for the 4-H pet show this morning at 8. My Julia had fun showing off her tiny guppy and tolbount polish chick of 3 months. She is trying to focus and smile. lol. She is drawn to chicks like hummingbirds are to sugar water!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Fair week for us, too [​IMG] No one here's showing anything, but I get to go see the Tuff Trucks. I sure never expected to, but I love those races, and I'm the first one to stand up and scream "Roll it over!". Plus, our poultry show is supposed to be an APA show this year, I'm excited to see who might be breeding what in my area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by