My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I don't understand 'not eating vegetables'. I guess some folks just haven't been hungry enough. Growing up we were glad to get whatever Mom managed to put on the table. Our entire earthen cellar was filled with shelves of canned vefgetables that we had grown. Once we left the farm (long story there) the only red meat -= other than poached venison- was a chuck steak every other Friday (shopping day).

1 person likes this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Yep, I don't understand how folks can look at a plate full of veggies and say Yuck... Of course canned peas... that's a different story! But, over all, if I had to give up meat or veggies, the meat would go. Pecker pie sounds wonderful. Kind of like chicken pot pie. we sometimes make a "cheater" chicken pot pie with biscuit dough on top instead of pie crust. I'm sure the name would have to be changed in my family. 14 y.o. grandson would have issues with that name! Love the idea of "breakfast pie" instead of quiche!

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I get by with quiche by calling it "egg bake". And around here veggies are huge - all of the kids eat them happily and willingly. Evan and Katie can polish off a plate with broccoli, spinach leaves and pea pods faster than anyone I ever saw! No hiding veggies here.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I pretty much use whatever vegetables we have on hand...carrots thinly sliced, corn, green beans, peas from our garden stash, diced onion, pretty much anything.

The gravy I make is super simple too. Just melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan, whisk in 1/4 cup flour, whisk it for 5 minutes to get the "floury" taste out, then add chicken broth (enough to make it the consistency you want), salt & pepper. Cook stirring constantly for about another 4-5 minutes. If you want brown gravy, just use beef broth instead of the chicken broth. I've also used the juices from cooking the meat as part of the liquid and that adds even more flavor. Simple gravy, very easy, no special ingredients required.

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I have to make a quiche confession. I had never eaten it until DH started making it (I make the crusts and he does the rest). Surprised myself by how much I like it. I'm a pretty adventurous eater but quiche was not something I had ever been exposed to except for seeing it on menus.

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    What's not to like?

Frittata is the same without crust.

Now I want some Quiche!

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I just hadn't ever had it before, now it's one of my favorites (especially the spinach version)!

8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Bring on the Quiche!

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Well Ron, get in the kitchen and make it LOL!

I can't volunteer to, I don't have enough eggs at the moment.

10. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I need to put quiche on the menu for next week.

Tonight is Burgers...Maybe burger quiche? No, I would rather make mushroom and spinach quiche.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by