My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good try, Blooie.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    @Blooie , It will turn out gorgeous no matter what[​IMG]

Just stopping in to say hi[​IMG] Have too much work to do today. Have a great day!

3. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Blooie, you'll have to show us a picture of the new 'do.

Have a good day everyone!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, we want pictures of shorter-do Kendra! Not sure how short they're planning on going--shoulder length or sassy-short. She'll be adorable either way!

School started today for ALL my boys. I'm home, all by myself, just the dogs and chickens. Got Netflix playing old Buffy for background noise and a nice list of chores and errands to do today. Bliss!

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'll post some pics - as soon as I stop crying! <sigh>

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Don't cry! It will grow again and in the meantime, you can play with some new hairstyles. It will be ok, honest [​IMG]

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Aw, Blooie.[​IMG]

I had to keep my daughter's hair relatively short when she was little - it was all I could do to get her to keep still long enough to drag a comb through it as it was. When she was 11 or so, she decided she wanted to let it grow out. Then adolescence hit, and her hair changed from slightly wavy to downright curly, particularly in the front. Seriously, her bangs make tight little springs spirals that you could neatly coil around a pencil. Frankly, with 6 inches or so of relatively thin, straight hair on the end of all that body, it looked pretty ratty, so last year I managed to persuade her to let me cut it again. What I was aiming for was a sort of layered, shoulder-length pageboy, but of course, when it dried, the curls pulled up and it looked a lot shorter, and "floofy" to boot. She was horrified! She spent about 3 days in a deep blue funk, and I wondered whether giving your kid a bad haircut qualified as child abuse . . . .[​IMG] She tried straightening it, which only looked worse; she was even thinking about getting it cut even shorter. Finally she decided to try to make the best of it, and with conditioners and/or clips to tame the frizz, she has discovered that she has the ultimate in "wash and go" hair. (I always thought the look was adorable, as did a lot of other folks, but it took her a while to get there). She has learned to love her curly hair - which is a relief, because I don't think we could afford a therapist . . . .

But I'm sure you will love Kendra's new look, too - even if it takes a while.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I cut my dtr's hair when she started Kindergarten. It was adorable. She was so upset about it, she wanted to wear a bag over her head!

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Guess I was on the other side of the hair issue.

Mom refused to ever cut my hair, it hung all the way down to my behind, was thick as a bear skin and wavy too. For years I wanted it shorter so I could manage it myself, I hated having to wash it and trying to get snarls out and there was no way it could be styled like the other girls my age. No amount of pleading would change her mind so I had to take matters into my own hands. Or rather, my cousin took matters into her own hands. When I was in 7th grade and visiting her, my sweet cousin cut it for me all the way up to my shoulders. She also showed me how to use curlers and to style it myself. My head was a lot lighter, so fewer headaches and I didn't feel like a freak for having that huge head of hair.

Mom was less than pleased but I think she got over it (maybe?).

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I went from short hair in Jr. High to extremely long hair in High School. It was so long that I sat on it. When I washed it, I'd lay over the register (forced hot air) for a while to take some of the moisture out, then, I'd drape it over my head board for the night. In the morning, it was still quite damp. This was during the 70's. The main reason I grew it so long was b/c my brother was rebelling. He said he was going to have his hair longer than mine. So... of course, I had to save him the embarrassment of that proclamation coming true. Got it lopped off when the kids were born. No time for such foolishness then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by