My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can we all say, "Spring Break"?

1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hey, Florida is famous for spring breaks!

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    We are the least 'spring break desirable' destination in all of Florida. no beaches close by.

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    But you ARE in Florida and you can bet it will be warmer here by then than way up north. And beaches can be driven to.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh, I've always got something up my sleeve [​IMG]. I've had way, way too much time to research genetics and different crosses I'd like to try. I'm thinking of doing a pen of bantam sex links. Hoping I can find a frizzled red bantam cochin rooster at the swap, and then either some barred or silver laced bantam cochin hens.

I was looking at the eggs I've collected for the incubator. The sex link pen has 4 hens, I got 8 eggs. The silkie/cochin pen I got 9 eggs. The single Rhodebar hen with Eric gave me 5 eggs. The hatchery cuckoo Marans just restarted laying after weaning her chick and gave me 3 eggs. This tells me....

I'm glad no one bought that Rhodebar hen when I offered her for sale.
    Pound for pound, my silkie and Cochin are my best investment. The don't eat hardly anything, and while the eggs are small, so are some of the other breeds.
    I need to change out my hens for the sex link program. I've been using barred Hollands. I may try to lay hands on some California Greys instead, they're supposed to be more production based.

I hate this whole recovery thing. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, but I'm feeling more fatigued than I had been. Is that me, or is it simply because we got a heat spike after some nice cooler weather? My temp has been in the 99s a time or two. My eyes are watery and I'm coughing a little. Looking back, these were all the same things that happened in the weeks before I wound up in the hospital. The symptoms are all less severe than they were, but they're all there. I have an appt Thursday, we'll see how things go and if I need to get in sooner. I'm thinking if I wind up back in the hospital, I'll officially be an inpatient but tell them I want passes to leave when I'm not getting antibiotics. I'm only a mile from the hospital and would rather be on my sofa than those torture devices they call beds [​IMG]. Plus, my own shower.....

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey, Rachel., hopefully you've just been overdoing now that you feel better. [​IMG] Good luck on Thursday!

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Lots of projects to look forward to Rachel. x2 on sourland's comment...maybe just rushing things on the recovery a bit too much? I hope your appointment goes well Thursday [​IMG]

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I think you are one of these people, Rachel, that has to be doing something all the time. Maybe you can move the physical activity to mental work.
    of course that is what is making you need more pens and such... you need a hobby that does not require feeding.
    I hope you feel better.
    [​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

Honey would give you a great big hug for saying that!

Just last night he was encouraging me to start crocheting some hats to take to the swap. Apparently his friend took homemade jam one year and bartered for quite a bit. Well, I'm not making jam now, but I can crochet. And last I checked, hats don't need feeding. And they don't poop [​IMG]

10. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    As you said, the fiber fanatic doesn't have to feed and clean up after their acquisitions - just find a place to store all that "it was on sale! I dunno - I'll find something to do with it." I've got 40+ year old yarn in my attic that I "inherited" from my MIL and grandmother. I still haven't found anything to do with it, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by