My leukemia's back.

I had come to the conclusion that some of my new truck's safety features were NOT designed for driving out on country roads. Yesterday, I was totally convinced of it, when the safety features tried to kill us. The main culprits have been DISABLED, and I will re-enable them when I go to the city, or on the interstate.

You've all seen the commercial. The big dump truck suddenly stops, and a family is in their car behind it. The driver fails to react in time, so the pre-collision safety feature kicks in. It sounds an alarm while it automatically applies the brakes, and stops the car in time to avoid colliding into the big dump truck. The family is safe. Whew! Great feature to have in a vehicle, right?

Another wonderful safety feature is lane assist. Lane assist detects when you are straying from your lane into the next lane. It makes the steering wheel vibrate to alert you, and if you don't correct it quickly, it will steer the vehicle back into the the lane. If you are actually changing lanes (white lines) it's quick, not gradual like when you stray into the next lane, so it's fine. If you begin to cross over the solid yellow line in the center, it reacts immediately steering you back into your lane. Another great feature to have in a vehicle, right?

I had already decided to disable lane assist, and set it to alerts only. On the back roads in the country ( 2 lanes), there are low spots (water collects there when it rains), and occasional pot holes in the roads. I discovered when trying to avoid them, the lane assist would fight me. Not a wrestling match for the steering wheel, but enough to make it very annoying, especially when crossing over the yellow line.

Yesterday we were heading to town, on the country back roads, when the safety features tried to kill us. The garbage truck stopped in front of me. I had enough space and time to safely go around it, before the oncoming car got too close. I went to go around it. The lane assist detected I was crossing the center yellow line, and automatically began steering the truck back into the lane. I had moved forward enough that there was not enough distance between me and the garbage truck for it to safely maneuver back into the lane, so the pre-collision kicked in, and braked. I'm sitting here stuck between the two lanes, with an oncoming car approaching.

Fortunately the garbage truck moved forward to the next driveway to get their garbage cans, so I was able to get back in the lane behind it.

The thing is, I didn't really realize exactly what had happened at the time, other than the truck had gone nuts. Of course, Dh thought I had done all of it, and was screaming his head off at me, and among other things, threatening to never let me drive again. Later on, when I thought about it, I knew I had NOT done anything in regards to my own driving to have caused what happened. That's when I realized it was the safety features that had caused the problem. I mentioned it to Dh later. He began googling about it. Yup, I'm not the only one that has experienced problems with the safety features when driving on back roads.

I've reset the safety features to alert, but not to assist. That way they can't take over control of my truck. I can set them to alert and assist, if I decide to take a road trip, or am doing a lot of city driving.
Ha this is another reason I don't like all those bells and whistles

I had come to the conclusion that some of my new truck's safety features were NOT designed for driving out on country roads. Yesterday, I was totally convinced of it, when the safety features tried to kill us. The main culprits have been DISABLED, and I will re-enable them when I go to the city, or on the interstate.

You've all seen the commercial. The big dump truck suddenly stops, and a family is in their car behind it. The driver fails to react in time, so the pre-collision safety feature kicks in. It sounds an alarm while it automatically applies the brakes, and stops the car in time to avoid colliding into the big dump truck. The family is safe. Whew! Great feature to have in a vehicle, right?

Another wonderful safety feature is lane assist. Lane assist detects when you are straying from your lane into the next lane. It makes the steering wheel vibrate to alert you, and if you don't correct it quickly, it will steer the vehicle back into the the lane. If you are actually changing lanes (white lines) it's quick, not gradual like when you stray into the next lane, so it's fine. If you begin to cross over the solid yellow line in the center, it reacts immediately steering you back into your lane. Another great feature to have in a vehicle, right?

I had already decided to disable lane assist, and set it to alerts only. On the back roads in the country ( 2 lanes), there are low spots (water collects there when it rains), and occasional pot holes in the roads. I discovered when trying to avoid them, the lane assist would fight me. Not a wrestling match for the steering wheel, but enough to make it very annoying, especially when crossing over the yellow line.

Yesterday we were heading to town, on the country back roads, when the safety features tried to kill us. The garbage truck stopped in front of me. I had enough space and time to safely go around it, before the oncoming car got too close. I went to go around it. The lane assist detected I was crossing the center yellow line, and automatically began steering the truck back into the lane. I had moved forward enough that there was not enough distance between me and the garbage truck for it to safely maneuver back into the lane, so the pre-collision kicked in, and braked. I'm sitting here stuck between the two lanes, with an oncoming car approaching.

Fortunately the garbage truck moved forward to the next driveway to get their garbage cans, so I was able to get back in the lane behind it.

The thing is, I didn't really realize exactly what had happened at the time, other than the truck had gone nuts. Of course, Dh thought I had done all of it, and was screaming his head off at me, and among other things, threatening to never let me drive again. Later on, when I thought about it, I knew I had NOT done anything in regards to my own driving to have caused what happened. That's when I realized it was the safety features that had caused the problem. I mentioned it to Dh later. He began googling about it. Yup, I'm not the only one that has experienced problems with the safety features when driving on back roads.

I've reset the safety features to alert, but not to assist. That way they can't take over control of my truck. I can set them to alert and assist, if I decide to take a road trip, or am doing a lot of city driving.

So much for making things work for your own good...yikes! Glad you all were safe @getaclue

I accidentally turned on that lane assist thing just yesterday...

And driving about I OFTEN cross over the center double stripes... to be further away from the cliff... to avoid a pot hole, to take a tight corner more gradually....

So little traffic here...

Anyway... I was driving home, along the part where the road drops off SHARPLY, it should have a guard rail but doesn't... so, as usual I just eased away from that cliff, left wheels drifting over the yellow lines and the blasted car tried to yank me towards the cliff!!! :eek:

Initial freakout.... and then I realized what had happened and shut that back off!!!! :old

Luckily, the lane assist in my Chevy truck is just a gentle nudge, it is easy for me to override it without really thinking about it. It has a button on the dash that I can push to turn it on or off, very easy to do - no menus to scroll through and easy to see if it is on (lighted) or off (dark).
My issue is with the automatic breaking. I try to keep that off if I can, it somehow keeps turning itself back on - I think when Chevy sends software updates. It detects snow and heavy rain as something to brake for. Pulling into the garage, tall weeds along the concrete edge will cause it to brake.
I do have a button for the parking assist sensors for the front of the truck, but that is only an alert of lights showing how close I am to something. The automatic braking is menu, menu, menu, menu, turn it off and then back out to the main screen - not hard to do but irritating.
I was driving down the interstate one day, in some pretty thick traffic, when a car crossed in front of me: from an on ramp, across 3 lanes of traffic to get to the off ramp for the next exit. The frontal alarm went off, my dash started flashing a yellow/red light, and my vehicle auto-braked and scared the crap out of me! THAT almost caused a severe accident.
I guess if you drove in an area with a lot of aggressive drivers and were used to seeing that happen all the time it wouldn't scare you so bad. But in the last 6 years of owning the vehicle, I have had it go off once so I had no idea what was going on. And by the time I took my eye off traffic to see what was going on with my truck, the alerts were all gone. It took me a bit to figure out what happened.

I can’t stand the new sensors. They scare the crap outta me & I think they make people complacent.

DH has all the sensors activated on his truck & I hate driving it. It’s like constantly riding with a hysterical little girl & I find myself screaming back at it, “there is nothing behind me, shut up!” or “I’m not veering into the other lane!” This is a hilly area with curvy roads & it’s constantly trying to yank the wheel from me.

When got my car I complained to our car guy how much I hate the new tech. He knows us & he did me the favor of turning off all the ‘idiot sensors’ except the extreme, emanate collision ones. It has still screamed & braked on me a couple times when we’ve come around a curve toward a car in the left hand lane, perceived it was in our lane & it panicked.
:barnie
The thought of 100% self driving cars terrifies me!

Me too. My 10 year old truck only has 60,000 miles on it. Good for another 10 years, and then they'll be taking my license away. Oh, yeah, it has a key for starting too.
A key? For starting? How quaint. 🤣😂

DHs 2019 has a key too. It pops up out of a fob, but it’s still a key.

The old station wagon we had when I was a kid didn’t need a key. It was supposed to need a key, but all you had to do was turn the ignition prongs & it would start. I loved that car.

Back
Top Bottom