my little dog caused hen's death.

mamabigbird

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Vancouver Island, B.C.,
My little chihuahua/terrier cross never actually chased my hens but would run through the free range flock on our way through to the woods where we walk. The hens would scatter squawking but Scruffy never seemed to chase them.
I read on a thread here a while back that if startled or panicked hens could break an egg inside and die a horrible death.
Well, I have sadly learned my lesson at the expense of one of my sweetest chickens, "Double-double" one of my Bovan Browns was in obvious trouble yesterday, one day after being chased, and died last night. There had been a broken egg mess in one of the nest boxes but no shell.
Bovans are a medium brown, slightly speckled sex link. "Double-double" got her name because she was creamy colored and sooo sweet that she reminded me of a tim Hortons' Double double coffee. (double cream, double sugar).
Now my dog will go on leash until we are off the farm and into the woods, away from the hens.

Many chickens will have problems with their egg laying apparatus such a s egg bound, internal laying, and soft shell eggs. You might want to read up on these things. Personally, I don't think this was caused by your dog chasing them--I might be wrong, but I would continue to let her be with the chickens. Animals enjoy each other's company, even different species.

Many chickens will have problems with their egg laying apparatus such a s egg bound, internal laying, and soft shell eggs. You might want to read up on these things. Personally, I don't think this was caused by your dog chasing them--I might be wrong, but I would continue to let her be with the chickens. Animals enjoy each other's company, even different species.

Yah, you may be right. Sex-link hens seem more prone to problems. Either way I think I'll rein in the little dog. I think he gets too much enjoyment from scattering them.

Back
Top Bottom