My little hen and her vent - help

sitamay

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2020
Good morning. This is my first post. I am attaching photos. Not sure if this is gleet or something else. Peace's poops all look normal but her fluffy down feathers are missing and there is encrusted yellow/white on lower portion of her vent.

I have been giving epsom salt baths and O3 cream, ointments, etc. It looks better but the hard crusty still remaining. There is no smell and nothing gooey.

Thanks for your attention. Comments/feedback, please. Thank you.

Have a beautiful chicken day!

Attachments

• IMG_5729.jpeg
    IMG_5729.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5728.jpeg
    IMG_5728.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5727.jpg
    IMG_5727.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 12
Good morning. This is my first post. I am attaching photos. Not sure if this is gleet or something else. Peace's poops all look normal but her fluffy down feathers are missing and there is encrusted yellow/white on lower portion of her vent.

I have been giving epsom salt baths and O3 cream, ointments, etc. It looks better but the hard crusty still remaining. There is no smell and nothing gooey.

Thanks for your attention. Comments/feedback, please. Thank you.

Have a beautiful chicken day!
Welcome To BYC

Looks like at some point she may have prolapsed could be the angle of the photos.
Crusty area looks like scabbing to me, not vent gleet, so she at some point likely was vent picked.

Does she lay eggs at all?

I think I would continue with the soaks and application of ointment. You may want to try using triple antibiotic ointment to see if that works better.

Welcome To BYC

Looks like at some point she may have prolapsed could be the angle of the photos.
Crusty area looks like scabbing to me, not vent gleet, so she at some point likely was vent picked.

Does she lay eggs at all?

I think I would continue with the soaks and application of ointment. You may want to try using triple antibiotic ointment to see if that works better.

Thank you for the reply! She is 20 weeks - not yet laying. She was going a little crazy in isolation cage even though it's a big one. Had her in my sunroom. So, I put her back out on the range area today. Then, what do do about vent picking?

Observe the others to see if they are still picking at her vent - it may be during roosting.

Picking can happen for different reasons, she may have prolapsed, you may need to add some roosting space, etc.

Back
Top Bottom