My Little Idaho Flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JediPat, Jan 23, 2014.

1. JediPat

JediPat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2013
    Although growing up on a farm I have only been into (backyard) chickens for a short time, a little under 2 years. My first flock I bought as chicks, 4 barred rock and 4 buff orps, ended up giving away 2 of each breed to get another person started. I also ended up acquiring a somewhat feral mutt hen and her 6 chicks and although my girls didnt care for them they seemed to live in peace. Everything was cool in my little chicken world, I would let them free range and just sit and watch them for what seemed like ages. Earlier last week I was letting the girls free range and had forgotten to latch the gate at dusk...it was the biggest mistake I had ever made. The next morning my whole flock was dead...2 eaten, 3 just killed for fun, and the rest just gone. I allowed a dog or coyote to walk right into the pen and have its way with my chickens. I was so upset with myself and at first vowed off of chickens, but that didnt last long. I came across a local craigslist ad for someone who was giving away 2-3 year old hens because they had just gotten to be too much of an expense. I grabbed the biggest dog crate I could find and headed that way...to my surprise she had about 20 chickens, all barred rocks, a fluffy headed hen, and a turken. She said take as many as I want so I snagged 7 good looking barred rock pullets and brought them home to fill the void I had created. I learned a lot with my first flock but I have a feeling these good looking girls will teach me a thing or two in our long and safe time together.

Anyways...sorry for the wall of text. Here they are, I will get more/better pictures of them and our set up this weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about your loses. Don't beat yourself up, it happens. But I am glad to hear you recuperated from the trauma and got right back on the horse! I mean the chicken!!!! [​IMG]

Very nice looking flock and good luck to you in all your poultry adventures!!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad you didn't give up on chickens. Barred Rocks are are a fun breed. They are some of the most social hens in my mixed flock.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

So glad you got more chickens. I'm sorry you lost your flock like that. [​IMG] Chickens are so easy to love, aren't they? Enjoy your beautiful new girls!

5. JediPat

Nov 20, 2013
    Just picked up the last 3 hens this lady had bringing my total to 10.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Good for you you for stepping back in the chicken world.

7. JediPat

Nov 20, 2013
    Here are all my ladies, this is the first time I have let them out to roam.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am not sure if this one (the white headed one) is a barred rock or not...but she is my fav.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Beautiful flock!! They look like they are enjoying themselves. [​IMG]

9. JediPat

Nov 20, 2013
    Thanks.