My little Nando just will not grow! Update: He's found a forever home!

I'm relatively new here and just read all 14 pages.... I'm definitely a 'Nan Fan'. I so admire you for giving her every fighting chance!

A twenty-five year old turtle?
I have a 5 week old chick lagging in growth so your post caught my eye,
but the turtle stopped me cold. Thought I was the only one with
"The Pet That Would Not Die."

We got a turtle in 1979 after we had lived together about 6 months.
I was still in my twenties. Did not realize that the thing would be
keeping me company until I was eligible for Social Security.

Luckily it's a red ear slider which has one of the shorter
turtle lifespans, only about 45 years, which will bring me into
my seventies. I'm hoping to outlive it.

Our Japanese friends once told us that having a turtle was
good luck for our marriage. Not sure but we are still together.

Quote:
Yeh, when you take a turtle for a pet, it's a life long commitment! My parents and I toss her back and forth for breaks. She's really a lousy pet as all she does is sit around and eat stuff. Snooze. She's actually only been in our family for about 14 years, but I'm sure she's got another good 25 years to go. She was about 12-15 when we got her. Ours is a box turtle, which I guess is really a tortoise. I almost strangled her in a laundry basket a few weeks ago. She got her head and arm stuck in a hole and was barely alive by the time I found her. Stubborn thing bounced right back...Good luck outliving yours! LOL By the way, there are no divorces in our family either, so maybe it is good luck!

Quote:
Thank you, the post is getting quite long isn't it?! I spent the first few weeks trying not to get attached to her as I was sure she wouldn't make it, but now I'm a hopeless Nan fan myself. She's really quite sweet and weird.
I still think she may be a bit jaundice. If she survives a few more weeks I may take her to a great avian vet we have in the area for a look over and suggestions on diet and podiatry. I know it will cost me!

Nan!!
love.gif
I am subscribing to you... Keep on keepin' on!

LOL. She's doing very well. Amazingly, she's keeping up in size to the second batch of babies I got for her. I plan on attempting to fix her toes tomorrow. We've been out of town, so it hasn't happened yet. She's now totally covered in pin feathers, even her back which has been nothing but fuzz for 11 weeks! I can't wait to see what she looks like when they all unfurl. She might have a curly coat as her pin feathers grow really long before finally unfurling an oddball feather. She may look better or worse after all the feathers come in, but it's my hope she can regulate her body temperature a bit better anyway!
I'll take a couple of pictures of her tomorrow and show off her new look. She's loosing those ratty 'moth' feathers she's been carrying around on her wings for weeks.
Yay Nanners!

Ok you got me too, GO NAN!!!!!
I also have a ity bity, named peanut, she's a beautiful Speckled sussex, but crooked toes, and half the size of the brooder mates
she is also adorable and very friendly,she stole every ones heart here especially my step daughter Ana. here's a picture from last night they were Born May 25th,
81831_img_1179.jpg

she's on Ana's lap here
81831_img_1181.jpg

Back
Top Bottom