My Little Red Hen needs Help!

I don't know if she's been laying because I free range my hens and not around to watch her all day.

Well, today her comb isn't pale anymore but now she isn't eating or drinking much. I was wondering if I should separate her. The problem isn't spreading. She's also getting weaker. I don't think she's laying, usually when they're this sick they don't lay any eggs.

How is your hen doing? Have you tried offering her yogurt to eat? Or some kind of electrolyte suppliment? It might not work, if she is refusing food, but it might be worth trying.

Catch her up and feel her underside, see if she's swollen in her lower abdomen. If she is that means she has ascites, fluid buildup in the body cavities, which can have a few different causes, none good or curable. Could be heart problem, could be peritonitis from internal laying etc.

If she does not appear to have swelling then does she seem very thin? Has she been wormed? Any interesting respiratory sounds? Does she have mites/lice?

Sorry to seem so random, there's just an awful lot of possibilities.

Well, she died peacefully during the night. When I found her, her mouth had gunk in it but I couldn't see it because her mouth was clamped shut,it may have been spit but I'm not sure. She wasn't swollen, I looked up the peritonitis, not it, she's never been wormed in her life, her breathing was normal exept last night when she was panting.I looked her over for lice/mites and I didn't see any.

Thank you guys.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom