My Little Red Hen needs Help!

Sylvestor12

Songster
7 Years
May 13, 2012
My hen has been acting slow, not moving much. She stands like normal so I know it's not blackhead. Her feathers aren't ruffled. Her comb is pale at one point it was near white. Her poop is a nasty green and she's been losing weight! My parents don't want to see it but she's sick! I need help on what to do! :-(

Hi.

I am not an expert by any means, but I was thinking that it could be an impacted crop. According to ehow, this is the information on it:

Causes

• When a chicken is eating too much food at a time, or rough food such as straw or hay that doesn't pass well, the food can get jammed in the crop. Chickens often overeat when they are young and growing. Eating too much without drinking can be another cause of an impacted crop.
Physical Signs

• An impacted crop will often be visible to the naked eye, bulging out of the chicken's body. You will see a large lump or ball sticking out of the chicken's chest. When you touch the area it will be hard, and the chicken is going to be clearly uncomfortable. There may also be a foul smell coming from the chicken.

Behavioral Symptoms

• A chicken will act oddly when it has an impacted crop. It will not eat or drink, and will look ill. A chicken with an impacted crop will often act like it is choking, or jerk its neck in different directions in an attempt to dislodge the jammed food. The chicken may also have difficulty breathing and appear in distress.
Cures

• If you think your chicken has an impacted crop, take it to a veterinarian right away. Attempting to remove the impaction on your own can be dangerous and even fatal to the chicken.

I will keep searching the web and post any other information I find. I suggest you take her to the vet, if you can. I hope she gets better!

Sonja Twombly of
    http://lallybrochfarms.blogspot.com/

Thank you, but it's not an impacted crop I felt for a bulge and smelled her breath, nothing was in her crop and her breath was normal. I don't know what to do! :-(

It isn't an impacted crop. I checked her breath and crop. The crop is empty and the breath is normal
I'm confused on what it might be. :(

I was wondering if it could be a parasite or something because it came slowly at first. Her xomb was pale and she was just walking slowly. Now all these other symptoms have popped up it's driving me batty!
he.gif

Sorry about your hen :(

Has she been wormed? It could be some sort of parasite. Also has she been laying?

Check on egg peritonitis. The other thing are internal/external parasites.

Back
Top Bottom