My lone Turkey

Karen323

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 25, 2013
A friend of mine gave me 6 turkey eggs in October. Two hatched. We were so happy and excited. One died which was really sad. It got caught in a piece of wire and was strangled.
The other (blue slate) girl is now about 13 weeks I think. Maybe 12. She is just starting to go red around the neck.
We love her to bits. She is a real pet, way more than all the chooks.
We live in Australia, so our seasons are backwards. It is the middle of summer now. We just had 5 days in the very high 30s (over 100F) and she is ok.
We have made her an enclosure of her own. She has a generous sized place which she is sharing with 5 9 week chicks (she is very patient with them but they do annoy her). We will move the chicks into the henhouse when they are point of lay.
I know she will be lonely. I don't know that getting another turkey is an option (I am looking into a couple more eggs). Would a few quails live happily with her?
Any recommendations on how I should set up her roost? It is about 5 feet off the ground (I am trying to use American measurements).
What else can we do to keep her happy?
Tx for any advice.

A friend of mine gave me 6 turkey eggs in October. Two hatched. We were so happy and excited. One died which was really sad. It got caught in a piece of wire and was strangled.
The other (blue slate) girl is now about 13 weeks I think. Maybe 12. She is just starting to go red around the neck.
We love her to bits. She is a real pet, way more than all the chooks.
We live in Australia, so our seasons are backwards. It is the middle of summer now. We just had 5 days in the very high 30s (over 100F) and she is ok.
We have made her an enclosure of her own. She has a generous sized place which she is sharing with 5 9 week chicks (she is very patient with them but they do annoy her). We will move the chicks into the henhouse when they are point of lay.
I know she will be lonely. I don't know that getting another turkey is an option (I am looking into a couple more eggs). Would a few quails live happily with her?
Any recommendations on how I should set up her roost? It is about 5 feet off the ground (I am trying to use American measurements).
What else can we do to keep her happy?
Tx for any advice.
We have Guinea fowl in with our turkey and they seem to get along great...but you will have to hurry on that since your poult is getting up there in size..if you wanted them to bond. Since your seasons are reversed, would assume you could lay hands on a keet or two.

Back
Top Bottom