I decided to do the dirty...and let my ducklings play in the dirt. ;) There were all kinds of creepy crawlers in the clump of grass, weeds, roots, and Lord knows what all.

I dug up a big wad of grass in the pasture for the babies. This grass was so tough the poor babies couldnā€™t even begin to eat it.

All of them thoroughly enjoyed playing Where The Wild Things Are.

It wasnā€™t long before a long skinny, wiggly thing was discovered. They knew they were supposed to eat it, but how? The poor Worm Was Passed Around Like An STD! Finally Hershey was the winner...and slurped it up like spaghetti!

Finally, as all were getting nasty dirty, I saw Petey And The Beetle.

Of course they could not go back into the brooder as nasty as they were, so into the bath they went. Talk about tuckered out. They absolutely let me know when they wanted out. I dried them each and put them back into the brooder. They didnā€™t preen for very long. Instead, they opted for snooze time. Of course they were doll babies. Peachesā€™ crop was so heavy it almost pulled her off the side of the heat plate.
4CE044B7-D052-4453-AA70-A074E55170F6.jpeg

I couldnā€™t not post my beautiful Climatis flowers and Azalea. Iā€™m sure the petals will be washed away by the impending rain. But so it is! Enjoy the colors.
D2296327-13D6-4C7A-8BD8-87CD66216DFB.jpeg

This makes me think of another question I have.

With chicks, I brought in outside dirt that they could pick through and dust bathe in. Is there something similar I can do for the ducklings? Can I bring in dirt and wet it down some or should I wait until they are old enough to clean themselves?
You could, but it would serve the ducklings no purpose. They don't need dust or mud baths and they drill holes in the ground only to eat whatever critter wasn't fast enough to get out of the way. It is much better to make field-trips to the outside with them, so that they experience some fresh air as this will trigger the feather development. And regular bath-(tub-)time to turn on the preening gland, so they can waterproof themselves sooner.

You could, but it would serve the ducklings no purpose. They don't need dust or mud baths and they drill holes in the ground only to eat whatever critter wasn't fast enough to get out of the way. It is much better to make field-trips to the outside with them, so that they experience some fresh air as this will trigger the feather development. And regular bath-(tub-)time to turn on the preening gland, so they can waterproof themselves sooner.
I brought in a big old chunk of earth, but it was covered with vegetation on top so I turned it over to expose the dirt, creepy crawlers, roots and such. They never did ā€˜drillā€™ in it and I wondered why. They just picked at it. And had fun doing it.

Our outside field trips are postponed a few days due to weather, but they are still getting the tubby time. (Sounds like the new thing -tummy time- parents have to do with newborns now that they canā€™t sleep on their bellies.)

When weā€™ve had field trips to the yard they really didnā€™t do anything other than the usual eat-sleep-poop, rinse-repeat. They picked a little at the grass and stared at things flying over, which was cute to watch. Duckling expression is way cuter than chick expression, IMO anyway.

Does the dirt need to be wet in order for them to drill?

Back
Top Bottom