Pics
My ducks will sleep with two ducks touching each other then a short distance away the other two will sit touching. My ducklings will pile up where ever they are.

My ducklings got to go outside for the first time today. They noodled in the water to get herbs and played in grass. They are now pooped duckies.
When the White Layers were still young last year, Blanca and Earthquack frequently lay close to each other, using the other's body as a pillow but that has stopped during the hot summer time.

Hopefully yesterday was my last busy ‘mask-making’ day. Today is duckie day. It is supposed to begin raining today for a couple of days, so I have a good reason to sit and play with them. Oh, and learn a lot more of their ways/habits/funny antics.

Another question I had early on, but thought I’d just wait and find out myself, I learned this morning. (I have always had a tendency to ask/say things without thinking how it may affect others: it may be politically incorrect, sexual in nature, gory or gross in detail, etc. In my defense, most things just pop out of my mouth, mostly out of curiosity.) This one isn’t that bad though. But I learned that where they lay, they poop. It’s also strange that they do not have a ‘go-to’ place to sleep. During the day and at night, they pick different spots around the brooder. They never sleep under the heat plate anymore, but they do sleep on it.
View attachment 2078597View attachment 2078602

I was worried that the uneven surface of the top of the heat plate would be a deterrent for them, but nope, they still pile up on it.
View attachment 2078603

One thing that makes me happy is that Sadie, my jaunty eared GP/GS mix, has found the closest spot to them and lays outside the door. I even noticed last night that she was outside the door looking in when I closed the curtains for the night. It won’t be long and she’ll be piled up with them, if they’ll let her. A few of my chickens will lay down pretty close to her, but they don’t shoot poop on her! 😂 We will see. All I know is that poor little starving pup, that I did not want (already had six dogs, five inside) quickly made her way into our hearts and has been a god-send. Luckily, our neighbors aren’t close because she patrols the fence lines and barks all.night.long! Nonetheless, I’m thankful she picked us. She’s a big old girl and fills a big old spot in our hearts.
View attachment 2078601View attachment 2078600

A little secret @WannaBeHillBilly clued me in on is, ‘yes, ducks do poop straight out behind them.’ I have proof. Later today I will be wiping down the side walls of the pool/brooder cause it is nays-tee! (That’s southern for d@mn filthy!) I guess I’m shocked that they don’t poop on each other. They may and I just not notice it.
View attachment 2078599

Here is one last picture I will sign off with...this is Peaches, my Buff Orpington, showing a little leg! :lau
View attachment 2078610

Thanks for all y’all’s helpful tips, advice, sympathy, etc.

This Mimi, aka Crazy Old Chicken and Duck Coot, certainly appreciates it ALL!
They certainly don't mind dirt! Mine are currently with the chickens and pick the most disgusting part of the chicken coop to sleep during the winter - under the roosts. I bet it is warmer, just from the heat coming from the bedding, and being right underneath the chickens, but sure is nasty! I need to block it off come next winter :sick

My ducks will sleep with two ducks touching each other then a short distance away the other two will sit touching. My ducklings will pile up where ever they are.

My ducklings got to go outside for the first time today. They noodled in the water to get herbs and played in grass. They are now pooped duckies.
This makes me think of another question I have.

With chicks, I brought in outside dirt that they could pick through and dust bathe in. Is there something similar I can do for the ducklings? Can I bring in dirt and wet it down some or should I wait until they are old enough to clean themselves?

This makes me think of another question I have.

With chicks, I brought in outside dirt that they could pick through and dust bathe in. Is there something similar I can do for the ducklings? Can I bring in dirt and wet it down some or should I wait until they are old enough to clean themselves?
Many people bring in clumps of sod for their ducklings to pick apart. I don’t because I don’t want to clean out the destroyed super dirty brooder full of dirt. I just take them outside to play in it. I also usually clip dandelions and cut them up for them to eat but non of those yet this year.

Many people bring in clumps of sod for their ducklings to pick apart. I don’t because I don’t want to clean out the destroyed super dirty brooder full of dirt. I just take them outside to play in it. I also usually clip dandelions and cut them up for them to eat but non of those yet this year.
Makes total sense!

What no pictures? 🧐

Mine love clover as well.

Back
Top Bottom