Pics

Oh, and why is Petey so dang LOUD?!?
She is in her teenage weeks! - Ducknagers are loud, cheeky, nosy and real troublemakers!
Enjoy that time, it won't last for long, as everything with ducklings won't last long. They grow up like a time lapse.
All my White Layers have developed deep full duck voices in the end. When they say QUACK! everybody understands QUACK! Their wide chest allows them to produce really loud quacks, listen to Bazilla Duck:

Makes perfect sense!

Also, I guess it’s possible ducks have a juvenile molt between 8-12 weeks like chickens do. If not, something is wrong with Petey. She is leaving feathers everywhere!!!!!! At first I thought my rooster was being rough on a couple of my white hens, only to realize most of the feathers were in duck specific locations.
View attachment 2156682
My White Layers leave feathers behind all year long. They seem to be in a permanent molt, not a hard one like my Runners. This spring Katharina Duck almost stripped naked, she had bare spots on her chest for a couple of days and absolutely none of her flight feathers and was in a really really baaaad moode! - Nothing like that with Alba, Bazilla, Blanca or Earthquack. Always happy ducks, leaving a trail of white behind them.
Dunno if its the breed or just the individual duck or just circumstances.

Yesterday got a little warm (especially when you add in humidity) and I wanted to work on my project of my continuous duck waterer, but my little side kick didn’t really want to stay out with me. So I thought, let’s get the sprinkler out. 💡 Fully clothed with his mud boots on, MK changed his mind and decided to stay out with me. He loves the water...and can’t get in the duck pools, for obvious reasons, so running through the it satisfied him, and the ducks too! I was Killing Two Birds With One Water Hose! Smart me! 😂

I loved it especially when he slipped and promptly went to wash his booty off. Not to mention the sloshing noises coming from his water-filled boots! 🤣
That needs a double like: 😍😂 - reminds me at my happy kid days.
Your ducks are looking the same way at MK as mine were looking at me last year when i grabbed the »rainmaker« and placed myself right under it because it was so hot here in August. No duck dared to get under the shower with me, except Katharina's ducklings. We had a good wet time and all the others were looking at us, quacking disaprovingly: Humon and duck together in the same water? How disgusting! :gig

I cry nightly, thinking of a good soul like you crossing over to the dark side..

‘It’s so sad”
1590464531224.png

@Mimi13 - Just wanted to show you as a new duck owner, that female ducks sometimes turn into fire-spitting dragons:
Oh my dear lord, she was freaking vicious. I had no idea that these sweet babies could be so mean! :idunno I’m assuming all that power behind the clamping bill could really hurt, at least leave a blood blister. I am used to the hens that puff up like basketballs, even walking around that way. I have been pecked a couple of times, but nothing major.

Do I need to section off areas similar to nest boxes like you have? For whatever reason I thought they would just lay all over the place, not in any particular spot, but hopefully where they bed down. However, I did wonder about them laying an egg where they have slept and pooped and the egg never being clean. In a few more weeks I think I’ll section a spot for three nests and cross my fingers in hopes. :fl :D

Oh my dear lord, she was freaking vicious. I had no idea that these sweet babies could be so mean! :idunno I’m assuming all that power behind the clamping bill could really hurt, at least leave a blood blister. I am used to the hens that puff up like basketballs, even walking around that way. I have been pecked a couple of times, but nothing major.

Do I need to section off areas similar to nest boxes like you have? For whatever reason I thought they would just lay all over the place, not in any particular spot, but hopefully where they bed down. However, I did wonder about them laying an egg where they have slept and pooped and the egg never being clean. In a few more weeks I think I’ll section a spot for three nests and cross my fingers in hopes. :fl :D
Mine lay in about 5 different areas around the barn and rotate. My broody gals are a little gentler, no fire spitting just lots of loud quacking and complaining when disturbed

I hate having to say “I told you so”...

but they are evil.

You should have seen her today: She was »throwing« her head so viciously towards my legs that she lost her balance and rolled off "her" nest. "Her" nest? - Well during the night she slept elsewhere and Pommes Duck was sitting on the nest. This morning everybody ran out for the cat food frenzy, but half way in, she decided to run back into the house and become broody again. Right now after a couple of hours her hormones have worn out and she is back out at the pool…

I have built these nest boxes for the ducks because they just love to sleep in a covered place. Yes, the house itself is fully covered, but a small box is more like a hug to a duck and they all like to sleep in there. As a convenient side-effect, i don't have to go easter-egg hunting every day…

Back
Top Bottom