A couple days ago I mentioned that one of my girls laid a shell-less egg out on the deck about mid-day, and I had already picked up the three eggs that were laid that morning.

Yesterday morning and this morning there were only two eggs that had been laid. This has not happened before since the ducks began laying. Both mornings it was Peaches, the Buff, that didn’t lay. I did think yesterday, after I saw that Peaches had not laid an egg, that possibly the shell-less egg on Wednesday may have come from her, even though she laid an egg on Wednesday morning. Now, after two days in a row of not laying I’m a bit worried. Could there be a problem I need to watch for? She’s acting and eating and keeping up with all the others as they make a hundred rounds around my house every day.

Nothing to worry about! - I get between eight and fourteen eggs per day from 28 ducks. They just don't lay that consistent during the winter months.
As long as nobody is limping or hiding in a corner and shivering there is noting to worry about.
I just thought it was strange for her to stop when my chickens are starting to crank back up the egg laying.

A couple days ago I mentioned that one of my girls laid a shell-less egg out on the deck about mid-day, and I had already picked up the three eggs that were laid that morning.

Yesterday morning and this morning there were only two eggs that had been laid. This has not happened before since the ducks began laying. Both mornings it was Peaches, the Buff, that didn’t lay. I did think yesterday, after I saw that Peaches had not laid an egg, that possibly the shell-less egg on Wednesday may have come from her, even though she laid an egg on Wednesday morning. Now, after two days in a row of not laying I’m a bit worried. Could there be a problem I need to watch for? She’s acting and eating and keeping up with all the others as they make a hundred rounds around my house every day.
She could be getting ready to molt.
My ducks take a break egg laying when they molt.
I'm surprised your ducks are laying right now anyway, but it may be warmer where You are.
My Cayuga ducks have not laid an egg now for a couple months.

I'm surprised your ducks are laying right now anyway, but it may be warmer where You are.
Say is that true that Cayuga ducks lay black(ish) eggs?

Say is that true that Cayuga ducks lay black(ish) eggs?
Yep.
Here is one I have blown out. Their darkest eggs are at the beginning of their laying cycle, then grey eventually they turn cream color. I hear tell some cayuga ducks that are of high quality lines lay black eggs throughout their whole laying cycle.
I have no idea if that's true or not, mine only lay a few black eggs and they fade each day.
it's always fun when they start laying again to find that first really black egg!
20210122_161855_HDR.jpg

Yep.
Here is one I have blown out. Their darkest eggs are at the beginning of their laying cycle, then grey eventually they turn cream color. I hear tell some cayuga ducks that are of high quality lines lay black eggs throughout their whole laying cycle.
I have no idea if that's true or not, mine only lay a few black eggs and they fade each day.
it's always fun when they start laying again to find that first really black egg!
View attachment 2499305
💗I need some Cayuga ducks!
1611361148859.png

All my chickens, except this year’s, are taking a break and I guessed that the ducks would be the same and lay eggs through the winter because they are this year’s hatch. IDK My ducks seem to be losing feathers all the time, but little Hershey did actually molt already. She hasn’t laid for a couple of months too.

Back
Top Bottom