My Loving Hen is Injured/Bloody; Need any Advice ASAP; Please Help

The only triple antibiotic I have has pain killer in it. I won't be able to buy any until tomorrow (and will do so). I know I should not use the kind with pain killer so I will resist the urge to do so. I am just so afraid of infection. I went in there with some Gatorade but she won't drink (neither will Scarlett). Probably because it's very late and they have had a heck of a day. I will try some snacks to see if Gertie is interested in munching on anything but know that the best thing to do is probably let her rest afterward and stopping going in there to bug them. I will turn out all of the lights and there is no window in the wash room, so I think it will be alright to keep the girls together tonight. I think it will also comfort Gertie to know that Scarlett is there in the room with her. If Scarlett can't see the injury she probably will leave it alone?

Yes, she will leave it alone, small. You are doing great. I think your little hen will be fine. In the future, it might be good to have some comfrey salve or ointment on hand. Comfrey is a miracle healer...in case you do find the cut(s). Best of luck. Let us know how she is tomorrow.

I just wanted to let everyone who helped me last night know that Gertie seems to be doing alright.
I kept her in the laundry room all night and checked on her every few hours.
This morning she was interested in eating and had blueberries, spinach, mealworms and some sunflower seeds, in addition to her Manna Pro feed. She also drank water.
I had to go to work so left her in the room with the light on throughout the day. I made her a makeshift nest box with wood chips and tried to keep her as comfortable as possible. There was no new bleeding throughout the night. She did lay an egg, but not in the nestbox. Okay with me.
I have been applying neosporin and betadine interchangeably but she is not happy about that.
I kept Scarlett outside in the coop today and from what I hear, she cried all day; she and her sister have never been separated a day in their lives. Tonight I brought Scarlett in to sleep in the room with Gertie. The lights are out and there does not appear to be any problem with Scarlett pecking at Gertie's head. But I did keep them separated all day.
If anyone has any further advice I would be open to it -- for instance, how many days do you think I should keep Gertie in the house?
Also, does anyone know where I can get some comfrey salve and/or the injectable antibiotic some of you were describing last night?
Thanks for all of your help. It is truly appreciated.

I doubt you need to give her injectable antibiotics, from what you describe.

I think you have 2 very lucky chickens - lucky to have such a great owner!

Thank you so much. All continues to improve. Gertie seems to be getting back to her ornery self again. I have kept her in the house for the last three days so tomorrow (Mond) we'll put her in the coop and see how she does. Thanks to all for your help and encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom