My male duck Spencer got his head and neck coiled around fencing.

Yes for the hen, Miss Kitty, it was horrible. We couldn't believe they did that to her. They denied it at first, but my sister was like, "but you have other breeds just like her." Then they fessed up to it. She was only about 5 months and their excuse was that she wasn't laying eggs. She has a big scar, bald spot on the back her head that never grew feathers, but the surrounding feathers pretty much cover it. She a black beauty. She lays beautiful eggs and is super sweet. Sits on people's lap, which they enjoy. She's the chicken kids hold and carry around.
Her example is what has given me hope for Spencer. I am afraid to give him regular food because of the swelling on his neck. Today with stores open, I'm going to get him yogurt. I don't know about his eyes yet. Poor guy. They crust over and have some puss. Spencer's grandfather ended up going blind, which I have no idea why, he was about 6 years old. So I have had a blind duck before. Thanks everyone.

It's wonderful you took that little hen in and helped her recover.
As for feeding him you might try some soupy feed. We call it soup warm water mixed into a small amount of feed to make it soupy. Did you try warm compresses?
I thought about oatmeal in warm water, but yeah I didn't think about putting the duck feed in water and making a mush. I put a small amount of vinegar in warm water and soaked a wash cloth and held it carefully over his eyes. I have a natural eyewash that has vinegar in it, so thougt that'd be okay. It really help to get the crusties off. And one eye opened more. His eyes keep crusting over.

He had tub time today and tried a little duck dunking. He still tilts to one side and has no strength that side. When I took him out, I set him on the floor, and he stood for the first time and tried to preen. Then he fell over and didn't want to stand. Probably tired. My husband found the Terramycin eye gel in the barn, so didn't have to go out on this snow dump day. Now he's sleeping in my arms again until he dries. I dont want him to rub off the medicine. He seems content. I hope he gets sight in at least one eye. He still has swelling around his head and areas of neck. I put that Vetericyn spray on wounds on his neck. He tried to preen, and did better than I expected. I think he's taken big strides in recovery today. I'm feeling much better for him to survive. Hopefully, with quality of life though.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
So happy to hear your seeing progress. Terramycin is great stuff hopefully that will clear up the crusty stuff. Ducks are amazing how they can overcome attacks, trauma etc. He sounds like a sweet boy.

He's very sweet. Since most all my ducks are hatched at home from our sweet runner ducks, I have a special bond with them. We get some interesting patterns and colors with our mix of runner ducks (brown, blue Swedish, and fawn and white), which is so fun. Like many here, I bring a fowl in the house to care for them.

Spencer's father (Uno) lived inside with us a long time and was a pet. He wore a diaper just fine. Went up doggie stairs onto the couch, and came into the kitchen asking for tomatoes. Until his hormones kicked in and he wanted to be with the other ducks. Lol.

Spencer isn't standing tall yet like a runner, but I think he'll get there. To stand today took a lot for him.

Attachments

• 20211226_115922_exported_3194.jpg
    20211226_115922_exported_3194.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
He's very sweet. Since most all my ducks are hatched at home from our sweet runner ducks, I have a special bond with them. We get some interesting patterns and colors with our mix of runner ducks (brown, blue Swedish, and fawn and white), which is so fun. Like many here, I bring a fowl in the house to care for them.

Spencer's father (Uno) lived inside with us a long time and was a pet. He wore a diaper just fine. Went up doggie stairs onto the couch, and came into the kitchen asking for tomatoes. Until his hormones kicked in and he wanted to be with the other ducks. Lol.

Spencer isn't standing talk yet like a runner, but I think he'll get there. To stand today took a lot for him.
He will get there he has made amazing progress. Rooting for both of you :)

Back
Top Bottom