My Mallards

fowl farm

Songster
7 Years
May 9, 2012
Here are some pics of my Mallards. Can anyone tell the gender from the pics? It's killing me not knowing! Some ducks got their photo put up twice. :)

Just the hens? One of the bigger ones quacks and quacks LOUD when he (or she) sees me. But I read somewhere that the drakes tend to be bigger than the hens, so I thought that one was male.

The drakes tend to have a more raspy, quiet voice, while the hens have that loud quacking that you would expect from a duck. Also, I've noticed that my drake "talks" almost constantly (maybe it's just mine, I don't know), while my hens just make that quacking sound.....It's seems to be more when they get excited than when they're just foraging, while my drake does it whenever.

All hens in those pics. No curls to be seen anywhere. One drake in with those ladies and you've got yourself a happy drake!
celebrate.gif

Just to clarify, would a drake sound like a raspy peep? Kind of like when their little? (Except not)

All hens in those pics. No curls to be seen anywhere. One drake in with those ladies and you've got yourself a happy drake!
celebrate.gif
Someone said that all drake feathers means drakes, but not all drakes mean drake feathers. If I got just one drake, I would be happy too!

Back
Top Bottom