My meat bird Odysesy is finally over.

obsessed

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Slidell, LA
I finally did all my meaties. Overall it was a great experience. I don't keep track of the feed or the other cost due to absolute lazyness. And from what I read they are more expensive than store bought meat so cost doesn't really matter. I also didn't weight them but they got up to an acceptable size where they are very similar in size to the whole chickens in the market. I skinned them because I had to due the processing by myself and I didn't want to pluck 23 chickens. I did save all the goodies like the liver and the gullet but I am not sure what to do with them. I used a kill cone made out of a gallon of milk. That rocked. Here is a list of some things I have learned.
1. They stink
2. They poop a lot
3. They require more work than my meat rabbits
4. They are WAY harder to butcher than my meat rabbits
5. Husbands lie when they say they will help
6. kids will disappear when time to clean their pen
7. Meat rabbits are more superior
8. That lung scraper of Frugals would have been awesome to have
9. I am not that good with knives especially sharp ones (I lost my knucke)

I will probably not do it again. Mostly because they are more work than the meat rabbits I have and my rabbits are sustainable. I learned a lot and I want to thank everybody for taking the time to answer my question.

Save your knuckles next time- head to the fishing section of a sporting goods store and pick up a steel-lined fillet glove, then put a rubber glove over it. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom