My mixed chicks (RIR and BSL) genders?

Interesting the way the feathers came out. Blk Sexlinks are usually half RIR, so a lot of that breed in there probably. They are both male in the first pic, bottom one looks female.

I was really surprised by the amount of white on the two. Especially the hen? who is almost all white with a little black. The speckled red and black one has an area from about the middle of his back to the beginning of his tail feathers that is black and white that I am not sure the pictures show well, so it makes for a odd coloring.

Last edited:
Also, can anyone speculate on the ear colors? I have read that white ears = white egg layers and colored ears = brown eggs. The hen looking chick has white ears (Almost everything about her is white or very light) but came from brown egg.

Quote:
I can't tell the ear colors, but two brown laying breeds (your parents) are going to make a brown laying baby. So you're pullets will all lay brown eggs.

I'm enjoying looking at your colors, I have a home-grown bsl roo this year and I think my cochin's getting broody--I'm excited to see how the barring will come through on my non-barred ladies!

Back
Top Bottom