My mom is strange LOL

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
OMG!
lau.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
"Hold yer horses, I'll be ready in two shakes of a lambs tail and I ain't skeered of you neither just cuz ova mornin yur madder en a wet settin hen and ready to throw down on me..." the sad thing is, here in the south, we all use parts of that jumble...and alot more...everyday...and understand each other , lol!!!!

Last edited:
OH! I just thought of a couple more...

"don't run with scissors!"

Huh? Who would? And...wHERE did that come from???

and

"a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!"

HUH?

Sorry if bastardized the last one...that's how I heard it said.

Me so Mexican!

Last edited:
I would just like to know if anyone can explain these two sayings. It bugs me when people use a saying if they have no idea what it means. I ask EVERYONE that uses these and nobody has ever known the meanings behind them.

1. tongue in cheek

2. (blank) is the spitting image of his father

Anyone know?

Quote:
1. Tongue in cheek: Comes from the practice of biting your tongue causing pain in an effort to suppress laughter or a smile. If you bite your tongue with your side teeth you have put your tongue in your cheek.

2. Spittin' Image: This phrase was originally "spit and image".

It is a reference to polishing something using spit, to the point where you can see you own reflection or image in it. Shoes and apples come to mind.

smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
1. Tongue in cheek: Comes from the practice of biting your tongue causing pain in an effort to suppress laughter or a smile. If you bite your tongue with your side teeth you have put your tongue in your cheek.

2. Spittin' Image: This phrase was originally "spit and image".

It is a reference to polishing something using spit, to the point where you can see you own reflection or image in it. Shoes and apples come to mind.

smile.png

WOW....that was fast and made sense. Thank you.

I recognize many of those. My mother would say, when she was exasperated with me as a child, "You're going to send me right to Milledgeville!". I had no idea then, but a big state Mental Institution is in Milledgeville, Ga. And she'd say, " What in the Sam Hill...???" Never figured out who or what Sam Hill was..except that her maiden name was Hill.

Back
Top Bottom