My mom is strange LOL

Speckled,
I'm familiar with "Sam Hill" too,

Anyone heard of these?

1. Dumb as a box of rocks

2. Slick as a peeled onion

3. Smellin' your water

#3 is my favorite even tho I've never quite understood it.
All I know is whenever someone was doing something they shouldn't be doing, my grandma would always say, "He's smellin' his water"

A few more -

That person is - a few bricks shy of a load - not playing with a full deck - not the sharpest knife in the drawer - elevator doesn't go all the way to the top
(All meaning they're not too bright)

He was so ugly when he was a child his mama had to tie a porkchop around his neck to get the dog to play with him.

She was so pretty they had to hide her in the outhouse when she was growing up.
(To protect her from all the boys)

And one more from EX-hubby -
I wish I could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he THINKS he's worth.
(Not nearly as important as he thinks he is)

Gritsar!
A whistlin woman and a crowing hen never come to a good end (appropriate, don't you think?)

I whistle AND I had a crowing hen...
How about "He thinks he's hot $hit in a champagne glass but he's really cold Pi$$ in a Dixie Cup."

"a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!"

Basically that one means it's not worth going after two birds that may be laughing at you from the shrubbery when you already are holding onto the one for dinner.

Here's a new one for all of you:
He's so slow that he moves at the speed of glacier.
wink.png

So funny this came up! My sister and I have discussed writing a book called "Momisms" because our mother never gave a a direct answer to ANYTHING! See below for some examples:

Whats for dinner? "Horse sh*t and applebutter"

Whats that? "Kitten fur, to make a pair of kitten britches"

Where ya goin? "H*ll if I don't change my ways"

Whats the difference? "six of one half dozen of another"

These are off the top of my head . . .but she had a millon more!

When its raining hard you could say "Its rainin' like a cow pi$$in' on a flat rock"

"He let his alligator mouth overload his jaybird a$$"

"Colder than a well diggers butt in 40 foot of water"

One I hear alot from an 80 yo customer that I've never been able to understand is: "Easier to choke a bull on soft butter"

Quote:
Sam Hill is an American English slang phrase, a euphemism for "Hell", or "darn" (as in, "What in Sam Hill is that?"). Its etymology is uncertain, however it first appeared in print in America in the Seattle Times Newspaper in reference to James J. Hill (Jim Hill). Jim Hill was the legendary "empire builder", whose railroads - included the Great Northern Railway (U.S.), was a man given to notable rages when anyone dared to oppose one of his grandiose schemes. So frequent were these tirades, that the paper carried as a standing headline: "Jim Hill is as mad as Sam Hill." Other phrases published included "go like Sam Hill" or "run like Sam Hill" - in reference to Colonel Samuel Hill of Guilford, Connecticut who perpetually ran for office in the late 19th Century. However, he was apparently so unsuccessful that except for a brief mention in the Encyclopedia of American Politics, 1946 edition, there is scarce evidence that he existed.
Another explanation links the phrase to Sam Hill, an Abenaki Indian basket maker who lived near Saratoga Springs, NY in the early 19th century, known for the baskets he sold to tourists and for his disheveled appearance.

Others have suggested that the "Sam" in the phrase derives from Samiel, the name of the Devil in Der Freischütz, an opera by Carl Maria von Weber that was performed in New York in 1825.

Ultimately, the expression may simply be derived from a bowdlerization or alliteration of "hell" with "hill" when used in 19th century America by frontiersmen, especially when they needed to clean up their language in the presence of ladies.

Back
Top Bottom