My muscovy gets in to mating amours 15 times a day

Cairns.Lowe1

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2018
I have two Pekin drakes and one Muscovy. She gets in to mating about 15 times daily. Can I know when will she lay eggs after she mates properly. Because I’m waiting for new eggs (ducklings)

Pls help me I’m seriously need you help because I’m waiting badly for my new eggs

If you have 2 Pekin drakes and only 1 female Muscovy boy that poor girl must be worn out. I'd say your eggs are fertile for sure. How old is she and she isn't laying yet. Please consider getting more females you Muscovy really has to be taking a beating from those 2 drakes. A good safe ratio should be 3-4 females per drake. My Muscovies have always been around 8-9 months old before they begin to lay.

she is about 1.5 years old and once she laid eggs but ducklings did not come it was her first time. but now before 5 days she get off her eggs. and i saw her mating. how many days will go to lay eggs. even estimate the average time please.

It's hard for them to get prepared to brood when she has 2 sexually active drakes messing with her. She'll keep laying in her nest till she has what she feels is a good amount to sit on. Usually anywhere from 10-20 yep they like big clutches then once she has the amount she likes she will begin to brood That is when you need to separate her from the drakes so she can have peace and quiet and feed and water to drink and bathe in[for humidity] while on the nest.
It takes anywhere from 35-37 days for the ducklings to hatch once she starts brooding full time[she'll start staying on the nest 24/7 and only come off to eat drink bathe and poop.]

With two drakes harassing her she may not go broody, and if broody may break because of them. Because they are two different species understand that low percentage hatches are a likelihood if she goes broody. Animals don't work on 'time' schedules. She will lay IF she is healthy, well nourished and non harassed.

Muscovy are actually a in a different class than the Pekins. You would do well to get either a Muscovy drake for her, or rehome her and one of the Pekins, and get some more Pekin types of ducks.

Here's an explanation for my reasoning:

Muscovy ducks like to breed with other muscovies. However, if you have a single muscovy male or female, he or she will breed with whatever duck is available. These ducklings are called “mules” because they are sterile and cannot produce offspring.

If ducklings is your end goal I would completely separate one drake from her. Never let it be in the same area. If you let the other drake see her for half of the day, her eggs will be fertile. If the drake is docile and isn’t over mating her, you could let them be together as a pair. Things to look for is if she is constantly running away from him or if her neck is bare. Those are signs she is getting over mated. Then once she gets enough eggs, she will likely sit on them. So it will be July-August by the time you see ducklings. They will all be sterile because of the information provided from above posters. But if you are wanting to increase your flock numbers, I would get a few more females that aren’t muscovys. Then they can breed with one or two of your males. Your Muscovy will still sit on their eggs and hatch them out for you. They are supposedly great mothers.

Back
Top Bottom