My Muscovy keeps biting the new duck

SharkNewt

Chirping
Jul 21, 2021
So, I've been raising a Muscovy from a chick for a little over a month, now (about 6 weeks). I'm almost certain she's female, because she already has a lot of tail feathers, her wing feathers are almost grown in, and she has what someone called a "female beak" (more narrow and a prominent ridge). I bought a new Pekin, because I didn't want my duck to be lonely. I'm pretty sure he's a drake, because of his tail feather curl. But, whenever I leave the two alone, I hear him cry out, and she's chasing him around their enclosure, biting him. Sometimes it looks like she's grooming him, but other times, she's clearly attacking him, and he will scream. Currently, I have her separated, in the old fish tank i used to have her in, and the tank is inside the enclosure, so they still get to see each other. I thought it was usually drakes that bite each other for dominance? Is this just the pecking order being established, or should I worry about what she's doing? I do see him bite back sometimes, but that's only if I've been there long enough to make sure she doesn't do it.

Muscovy and mallard breeds have different ways of establishing a pecking order. Muscovy are far more dramatic and grab feathers. I have never seen a Muscovy draw blood though despite all that. If you do see blood, then I would worry. Otherwise, that is pretty normal with Muscovy. The mallard breeds learn to give them their space overtime.

You still need to let them see each other but not touch each other, like in two rooms with a dog gate between for at least 2 weeks. Your muscovey could be a male too.
I was thinking of buying a fence to divide them. They can get used to the enclosure I have them in, while also getting used to seeing each other, but what should I do as far as letting them play?

You still need to let them see each other but not touch each other, like in two rooms with a dog gate between for at least 2 weeks. Your muscovey could be a male too.
"Play" as far as, freely roaming the house and being outside. Should they be fine with more space to put between them, or should I take them out at separate times?

I was thinking of buying a fence to divide them. They can get used to the enclosure I have them in, while also getting used to seeing each other, but what should I do as far as letting them play?
Play, as in with each other? Not until they've gotten used to seeing each other for a few weeks. If you mean out in the yard or where ever you let them play, they take turns.

Back
Top Bottom