My Myshire farms snowie hatch

I’m noticing that 39% of my hatch was snowie, but 86% of my sick bay is snowie. The silvers and fees are very healthy and born strong.

Have you checked Pebble's eyes? If they're red, he's an albino and may have other problems as he grows.
Thank you, I didn’t, but I should have. However, I just checked, he has black eyes. I think he’s pink because his down is thin. I’ve been reading some old chicken threads about birds who develop slowly, and I’m going to get some nutradrench, I feel like sick bay can all benefit from it. He’s super cute, if he stays developmentally behind he can be a house bird, my daughter has wanted one, but I keep telling her we aren’t having a healthy bird inside, eventually one who needs it will come along.

Thank you, I didn’t, but I should have. However, I just checked, he has black eyes. I think he’s pink because his down is thin. I’ve been reading some old chicken threads about birds who develop slowly, and I’m going to get some nutradrench, I feel like sick bay can all benefit from it. He’s super cute, if he stays developmentally behind he can be a house bird, my daughter has wanted one, but I keep telling her we aren’t having a healthy bird inside, eventually one who needs it will come along.
I'm glad he's not albino. I've had to cull every albino I've hatched (4) because they were either blind at hatch or became blind shortly after.

I'm glad he's not albino. I've had to cull every albino I've hatched (4) because they were either blind at hatch or became blind shortly after.
Sooooooooo, I started to look at all the white ones eyes, and no albinos that I’ve seen, but tbh I can’t tell them apart. However, I have one with a big eye. It isn’t red or swollen, he can open it, and the bulge is all eyeball. He seems blind on both sides but is otherwise healthy. Since the sick bay chicks have a plate, I don’t see them as much, I didn’t notice his eye, and I might not have for a while.
D455150D-2938-4FC3-A3E7-774DF0057AAD.jpeg

That's strange! Can you get a up close pic of the eye?
When I went to get him I grabbed another bird based on it not running away. I go to take the pic, no swollen eye, son of a gun another blind white one.
Here’s the swollen eye one:
It looks like the head might be misshapen. It looks indented behind the eye.
562FB8E9-78DE-471A-A2E2-253EA236B347.jpeg
E8A35D30-2CC1-4ACA-AB2C-95F5F4170FEE.jpeg

That's weird. Maybe you should check all the white ones for blindness? Wherever you got them from, since you said their was a lower hatch rate in the white ones, plus now eye issues, there could be bad breeding stock where you got them.

That's weird. Maybe you should check all the white ones for blindness? Wherever you got them from, since you said their was a lower hatch rate in the white ones, plus now eye issues, there could be bad breeding stock where you got them.
I just checked lol. At least 1 more is blind. I had already emailed and called Myshire, regarding hatch colors and haven’t heard back.

I just checked lol. At least 1 more is blind. I had already emailed and called Myshire, regarding hatch colors and haven’t heard back.
I don't know hardly anything about quail, but I would guess the line of birds they use for the white ones has genetic issues. Possibly inbreeding extensively caused it.

I don't know hardly anything about quail, but I would guess the line of birds they use for the white ones has genetic issues. Possibly inbreeding extensively caused it.
I’ve sent another email, this time to the other contact person listed on the site. I’m so disappointed that I currently only have 9 healthy birds for my snowie breeding program, $60 for 9 usable chicks is very pricey.

Back
Top Bottom