My Mystery Chick

Charlotte80

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 14, 2012
Wichita Falls Tx
This bird is about 12wks old and is already the size of my year old buff orpington hen. I'm not sure if it's a pullet or a roo. It has the "shape" of a hen and NO spurs BUT it's comb and wattles are big and very red. It is a black bird with the greenish beetle sheen and red ticking on it's neck. It's legs are clean with no feathers and blackish grey. It is much bigger than the other chicks I bought at the same time including one chick that has turned out to be a barred rock rooster. I picked up this chick out of a straight run bin along with 5 others and the bin just said "assorted heavies" any guesses on gender and breed???

I'm leaning more toward jersey giant because of sheer size. The reason I mentioned spurs is because all my other cockerels the same age as this bird already have the little spur "bumps" and this bird has nothing on it's legs.However I wouldn't doubt if it was a roo because of how red the comb and wattles are. Do any of you know if the Jersey giants sometimes have red feathers on the neck?

could be a Copper Maran, or a Star. the gender i think is a hen, the tail looks like a hen, and same with the comb.
D.gif

It's a very large chick, Already the same size as my year old Buff orpington hen. I'll try and get a better pic tomorrow of it standing up in the yard thatshows it's shape.

could be a Copper Maran, or a Star. the gender i think is a hen, the tail looks like a hen, and same with the comb.
D.gif
This is where you need to take age into consideration. If the bird was 20 plus weeks, I would also say pullet based on comb and lack of saddle feathers. But that much comb at 12 weeks means cockerel. He's just too young to have a rooster tail and saddle feathers.

I agree it could be a copper marans. I think that would be more likely than a jersey giant with leakage, I've really not seen that much. And I thought jersey giants were slow to mature, so I wouldn't think the bird would be so much larger at this young age, otherwise they'd be a lot more popular as meat birds.

I'll look forward to seeing a better pic. I have to say, my first thought was cochin from the pic!

Back
Top Bottom