1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My naked neck has red spots

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purplehen13, Jun 29, 2016.

1. purplehen13

purplehen13 New Egg

May 16, 2016
    Hello!

I adopted 3 naked neck chicks about 3 weeks ago. They are about 4-6 weeks old. I've been keeping them segregated, today I notice that 2 of them have red spots on their head. Is this normal or something that should concern me?
    I thought at first it was just bug bites, because black flies are horrible here, but now I'm starting to doubt myself.
    They have medicated feed, vitamins In the water. DE to dust in (you know, all the standard new chick segregation stuff).
    I'm just concerned about it spreading to the others.anyone have any thoughts? Am I worries for nothing?

2. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    i think that might be fowl pox. a version of chicken pocks but in chickens.

3. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    NNs do get red spots on their heads and necks when they are hot. it might be hormonal as well.

4. purplehen13

purplehen13 New Egg

May 16, 2016
    Thanks everyone. It's been really hot and sunny here lately, the few random.spots turned into a completely red head. Almost like they are sunburnt. Aside from their red head, they have no symptoms.

5. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    good luck with the NN!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by