My neighbor is complaining about my rooster :/

Do the folks who think it's crazy for roosters to crow at 2 a.m. not have any rooster experience? Roosters will occasionally crow at odd hours, but it is not for no reason. It's usually in response to some stimulus, lights passing over their window (could even be from the neighbor complaining), predator prowling outside the coop, etc. Mine do crow on occasion at 2 a.m., even on rare occasion at midnight. We always go check to see if something is wrong.

I put up with lots of noise from my neighbors on occasion when I'd rather have peace and quiet. Ever hear a tractor cutting acres of grass? When my nextdoor neighbor does that, I can't hear myself think or my roosters crow or much of anything unless I go in the house and close all my doors and windows. Do you realize how sound floats up and travels in the mountains? I live on a hill and this particular neighbor is far below me so sound makes its way up here to my place when they do that. Should I tell them to stop cutting their acreage? Of course not! I've never told them to stop whirring around on their ATVs or to stop playing their music when they have get-togethers, though I have cringed when gunfire erupts at 11 p.m. and I know they can't see what they're shooting at. I have never complained and I expect the same from them. If they ever do come up here to gripe about my roosters crowing, they may need to stand back and wait while I roll on the ground laughing. It's the country, people.
roll.png

Wow! So many fiesty opinions, and some truely unique ideas. If my neighbor ever complained I will have some ideas on what to try. Although I don't think my neighbor ever will as he is 3/4 of a mile up hill from us surrounded by wild animals and trees.

Our roosters (notice the plural, 6 that we know of currently) crow at night if they hear a mouse running by. When we stay at the farm (no house yet but the basement walls are about to be poured) we hear them all night long some nights. Other nights not a peep. They are extremely quite when the coyottes are about, but loud and proud when a skunk or coon is prowling near. One very early morning last summer we were woke up by our Lakenvelder roo who in turn got all the RIR roos that were about to be culled going. My husband in his sleep deprived mind took his 44 and fired into the dirt. Now we all know that that wasn't going to shut them up, but my husband isn't a farmer. Rudy our older roo chimed in and then they all went crazy. It took me a good hour to calm everyone down. My husband was like they keep crowing over mice and he just wanted them to shut up. Now why would anyone think that a loud scarey noise of unknown origin would shut up a rooster is beyond me.

I actually like the sound of a rooster crowing and will often crow to get them going. My husband will also do this during the day, but mostly because he likes to hear the younger roosters worble out a bad attempt. Before we sold our house in town ( a very small town of about 250) we lived next to a baseball park. We were kept awake with baseball games that would go on until 11 or 12 even though the park was supposed to be closed at 9. Then after the game they would sit and drink even though no drinking allowed. They would trash the park and keep everyone up in the neighborhood. We ofter called the sheriff, but apparentely he was friends with them. We finally went to the parks comissioner and filed a formal complaint along with all the neighbors. We sold our home in Feb. so I don't know if it's better this year, but I do know that in the meantime we learned to put a fan on to dull the noise. Even the ceiling fan helped. Knowing what it's like on both ends I would search for a compromise. Something that would be equitable for both of you. I don't have roosters for fertilized eggs I have them to protect their ladies. I would suspect Mr Roo is just doing part of his roosterly duties. Oh yeah free eggs often helps too!

The advice about relocating your roo at night sounds like the best option. We have air-cleaners running in our bedrooms that drown out crowing or BARKING DOGS (much worse than crowing!) You could purchase an air cleaner or fan for your neighbor as an offer of compromise.

I just wanted to let everyone know that it must be a myth that roosters have to stand up to crow. I remember some suggestions on this thread about putting a rooster in a small kennel at night so he couldn't stand up enough to crow and annoy the neighbors. I recently found a home for my rooster and put him in a cat carrier for the trip to the farm. He crowed off and on during the trip there, and when we arrived, it was pretty funny standing at their front door with a crowing rooster in a cat carrier. I didn't have to ring the doorbell!

This is a year old thread, but rooster-neighbor issues abound, as they always will.

Of course, it's a myth that a rooster must stand up to crow. My crippled rooster, Zane, couldn't stand up, but he sure could stretch that neck and belt out a good one! Miss my sweet guy, who lived to be 4 1/2, crowing his heart out on a daily basis, from a sitting position.

My neighbor is complaining about my rooster. My neighbor lives 2 acres away, and a night for years I have been putting my roos in a sleep box, and at least 7 coop walls not to mention 2 buildings (houses) and his well building between his house and the coop. And I wait until 8:30 am to let them out. So the only time he can even hear the roo is during the day, which he probably does because he is outdoors a lot. I just told him we live in the country, and we had roosters before he moved there. Anyone else have thoughts?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom