My neighbor is convinced my chickens are a health risk- Help?!? Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

I'm putting up a lattice fence on one side of the coop to shield her view and hopefully diffuse the situation, and I'm going to plant ivy to grow up the fence eventually so it should be pretty.

And no - I never ever plan on bringing her eggs!! I'm sure she'd suddenly come down with salmonella and it would be my fault. Yikes!
But I had planned on bringing the other neighbors who have stood by us eggs.

I think most of the neighbors think she's crazy and mean. My immediate neighbors (except her, of course) love the chickens and think she's nuts, so at least there's that...
I still hate the fact that this person is talking badly about me and in general spreading her bad juju, but I'm trying to shake it off.

Like water off a chicken's back, right?!?

I love your idea of growing ivy on the lattice and that will be nice year round coverage. There are some great books on landscaping specifically for chickens that you may be interested in to increase that visual barrier and give you plenty of opportunities to utilize all those droppings if you're not already composting it to fertilize gardens.

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

I'm putting up a lattice fence on one side of the coop to shield her view and hopefully diffuse the situation, and I'm going to plant ivy to grow up the fence eventually so it should be pretty.

And no - I never ever plan on bringing her eggs!! I'm sure she'd suddenly come down with salmonella and it would be my fault. Yikes!
But I had planned on bringing the other neighbors who have stood by us eggs.

I think most of the neighbors think she's crazy and mean. My immediate neighbors (except her, of course) love the chickens and think she's nuts, so at least there's that...
I still hate the fact that this person is talking badly about me and in general spreading her bad juju, but I'm trying to shake it off.

Like water off a chicken's back, right?!?
I will give your neighbor the benefit of the doubt and guess that she has at least a mild case of Alektorophobia (the fear of chickens). Yes there is such a thing, it is, like many phobias, irrational but very real to the person that has it. And, while I will give her the benefit of the doubt I would never give her any eggs. So there.

i swear my neighbor must vacation up near you when she is not home and bug you...then come back and bug ME. our neighbors are exactly that same!!!! its miserable and i totally understand you NOT wanting to even go outside :( i feel the same way with my neighbors :( she has tried calling the city on me and yells at my children daily for being loud outside while playing etc. shes a miserable woman!!!!

So sorry for you folks with the neighbor issues. My biggest worry is that my little flock goes trotting down the road to see what the neighbors are doing. Yesterday, a neighbor had to stop her car and toot her horn at my gals who were lounging around in the middle of the road. I'm waiting for a neighbor complaint, especially regarding the rooster... so far, all is quiet on the eastern frontier.

i swear my neighbor must vacation up near you when she is not home and bug you...then come back and bug ME. our neighbors are exactly that same!!!! its miserable and i totally understand you NOT wanting to even go outside :( i feel the same way with my neighbors :( she has tried calling the city on me and yells at my children daily for being loud outside while playing etc. shes a miserable woman!!!!

Haha Deckgirls, maybe they're related....

So sorry for you folks with the neighbor issues. My biggest worry is that my little flock goes trotting down the road to see what the neighbors are doing. Yesterday, a neighbor had to stop her car and toot her horn at my gals who were lounging around in the middle of the road. I'm waiting for a neighbor complaint, especially regarding the rooster... so far, all is quiet on the eastern frontier.

I wish I could free range them so much, but we have too many predators- foxes, dogs, etc here ,and I'm sure the neighbor would have a fit if they went near her...
Good for you that you have nice neighbors. :)

Wow! That's crazy! I hope my girls don't decide to do that! My neighbors are nice, but I don't want any problems and I don't even like my girls even stepping in my neighbors yard!

So sorry for you folks with the neighbor issues.  My biggest worry is that my little flock goes trotting down the road to see what the neighbors are doing.  Yesterday, a neighbor had to stop her car and toot her horn at my gals who were lounging around in the middle of the road.  I'm waiting for a neighbor complaint, especially regarding the rooster... so far, all is quiet on the eastern frontier.

I know what you mean...I read about so many severely intolerant neighbors and it makes me want to hug all of mine. They're always asking about my chickens and some will come over just to see them. Others are working really hard to train their dogs specifically to leave my flock alone so I can let them free-range more so I'm more than happy to share eggs or baked goods with all of them.

Back
Top Bottom