My Neighbor shot at Me and My Chickens This Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
So those ignoramuses are clearly in the wrong... however you are mistaken about it not bothering them, obviously. :confused:

My roosters crowing doesn't bother me either... but some people have single pane windows, back aches, issues sleeping, family drama, and such.

You will be putting your life in danger if you go try to talk to them... indicated by their previous behavior. Some people are simply crazy! I seriously wouldn't recommend that.

Fact is, in my jurisdiction... they could complain to animal control or code enforcement and either one of those authorities would give me a warning. We can have what we want as far as number of chickens UNTIL the neighbors complain about noise... even in the country. :hmm

I too wanna know what the officers say... here it MIGHT have been a Hatfield and McCoy shoot out. and we don't own a pellet gun! :oops: :mad:

Just guessing your neighbors' name is Stew? Stew Pidasso! Glad you are OK! Any reasonable neighbor, I will try to work with. But neighbors like that are best avoided and let the law deal with them as you did. :thumbsup

Definitely must have been scary, heart pumping, head spinning.. :barnie

On one hand, I agree with you... as I've worked shift work when I was in the military. However, the neighborly thing to have done was for the neighbor to come over and talk to her in a polite manner explaining the situation. Not starting it off with a curse laden screaming fit to follow it up with the pellet guns...
I find nothing wrong with what she has done in this situation.
Yes, that's what I said in my first paragraph. The neighbors should have come and talked to her about it. I also don't think "Then I will" did anything wrong. I'm just saying that if my roosters were upsetting the neighbors sleep to the point that they were shooting at me, I would just get rid of my roosters. What her neighbors did was uncalled for, definitely. But I would think things could just escalate even more if the roosters keep crowing and waking up the neighbors. I saw a true story on tv where one neighbor shot and killed another because one was feeding deer and the other didn't like it. "Then I will's" neighbors sound like dangerous people, so I wouldn't push it. All I'm saying is I would get rid of the roosters.

Wow - that's scary! Certainly not the kind of neighbors anyone wants. There's no need to be shooting at you or your chickens. It would have been nice if they had tried talking to you and your husband, or if they felt it was necessary, complaining to the authorities. To just start letting your roosters out, and shooting at you and your roosters is dangerous and frightening.
That said, if I were in your position, I would just get rid of my roosters. Please keep in mind that some people don't work "normal" hours. Someone working a swing shift or night shift is not going to appreciate a rooster crowing while they're trying to sleep. In all fairness to them, night after night of disrupted sleep could make a person very cranky, and push their limits. Not condoning what they did, but if your roosters are disrupting the neighbors' sleep, it would be neighborly of you to get rid of them.

Why on earth should she get rid of her roosters just because her neighbors think it's a good idea to shoot at her? That's ridiculous. There are things called earplugs. What happens if someone drives by in a noisy vehicle? Will they start shooting at vehicles, then? It's just absurd to think it would be acceptable behavior, and to reward such illegal behavior with giving them what they want is NOT the answer.

PUT A LOCK ON THE COOP DOOR. Clearly, they felt they were being 'wronged' by whatever you were doing, and right to take matters into their own hands like they did; they are going to be even more hostile now that you've gotten the cops on their case. Laws are for reasonable people, and these folks aren't reasonable. Not to be alarmist, but these people seem to be exhibiting the kind of mindset that results in people getting killed by a person that they took out a restraining order against.

Cameras, "No Trespassing" signs, possibly an electric fence, a "concealed carry" permit . . . .:oops: Be careful.

Why on earth should she get rid of her roosters just because her neighbors think it's a good idea to shoot at her? That's ridiculous. There are things called earplugs. What happens if someone drives by in a noisy vehicle? Will they start shooting at vehicles, then? It's just absurd to think it would be acceptable behavior, and to reward such illegal behavior with giving them what they want is NOT the answer.
As much as I AGREE with you... there comes a point when it simply isn't worth risking yours or your families lives. Sometimes it will take as drastic a step as MOVING even to ensure your safety... right OR wrong. :barnie

It's unfortunate that we live in a day when laws are made for the abiding citizens and the criminals get rewarded with free health, dental, housing, and meals while our OWN families go without medication despite working LEGALLY their whole lives. :mad:

Eggsighted beat me to it. Getting rid of the roosters would be a small price to pay for one's safety. No, a person shouldn't HAVE TO do that, but as my Grandpa used to tell me, "Better to give up your right than to be dead right." The OP has multiple roosters. That can be loud even at 100 yards away. Yes, the neighbors handled the situation badly, but now that the situation has come to this point, something has to be done.

Hopefully we'll hear from the OP as to how things are going.

Oh my gosh how terrifying!

I would definitely look over your roosters that were out.

Personally I have some hens that are much louder than our roosters/cockerals(of which we have over 2 dozen if you count the grow out cockerals that will be headed to freezer camp). Fortunately the closest neighbors are 3/4 of a mile away and we live near railroad tracks. Not often used but once you live by that I think you can deal with most noise. We can also barely hear our roosters crows in the house.

I would not get rid of all my roosters unless you were advised to do so by the troopers. As long as you are within the law you have every right to keep them, but I would also put a lock on my coop immediately and if possible put up cameras.

Perhaps if they had come and spoken to you to begin with you could have obliged them and gotten rid of your roosters. However that was not their actions at all. If you wanted to I know someone that lives in town and locks their roosters up at night in the garage as a courtesy to their neighbors.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and be careful. These people are clearly not reasonable people and can obviously be dangerous. They also should have their firearms taken away because anyone who knows anything about guns knows you never point any kind of gun in the direction of anyone. It's incredibly dangerous and stupid. I grew up with a girl that got shot by her brothers friend and had a pellet in her neck for years. Thank God it was just under the skin.

No trespassing signs are also a very good idea.

Hope things get better please keep us up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom