My Neighbor shot at Me and My Chickens This Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
This thread is moving fast . But I have drive way alarms that are battery operated will transmit about two hundred feet . A leaf blowing in front of them will set the alarm off . Harbor freight under twenty dollars .You might get one and place it on the path they traveled on to your property .Give you some warning they are there .
This is an Excellent thing to do! we have done it, I don't think it was quite $300.00. we have 2 sensors, each with it's own alert, so we know where to look when it goes off. they are good for a quarter mile, got them from amazon on the advice of our constable (due to crazy ex husband from 10 years ago)

That sounds horrible!! :( Good thing you called 911... And that you're safe. :hugs

When I first saw this post, it said, "My Neighbor shot at Me and My Chickens... Then I Will"

(Not knowing that "Then I Will" was your username, so I thought that you were going to do something terrible back :lau.)
I read it that way at first too! Don't know if she intended that as click bait. . but it worked on me Lol!!:lau

Not to stir the pot, but to follow up:
I visited my next door neighbors this morning to be sure that the crowing wasn't annoying anyone else.

They informed me that the crowing was not a bother to them at all and that they liked my chickens and had been admiring them for some time now.

They also informed me that they were related though marriage to the neighbor who shot at me, but NEVER spoke to him because he and his dad were mentally unstable and not nice people. They advised my husband and I not to go down there and try to be friendly, but to report to the police if anything else happened, and then they offered to help me watch the coop from here on out.

It's nice to know one set of neighbors has our backs!
I also found three pellets sunk fast into the wood of my coop and run as well as a dozen other nicks and dings from deflected pellets. I took photos and emailed them as instructed to one of the officers who responded to our call yesterday, explaining that I wanted them put on file for when we press charges the next time something like this happens.
View attachment 1267964
I was standing at the gate just inches to the left of where this pellet landed.
View attachment 1267967
Let's just say, our first time calling the cops was a warning shot. The next time will be a sting mission.

You're handling it right, great photos for evidence and good move talking with the neighbor who can actually verify they're unstable people...that should be noted on the police report as well, and I would even ask if the police could cruise by, just drive down the road to have a visible police car presence now and then. I would probably even take the officer some fresh eggs from my hens when I brought these photos for the file. I recommend security cameras strategically placed, electric fencing possibly, automatic lighting that comes on detecting any movement at night, and definitely locks on the coops. I have locks on all of mine after I caught some kids throwing rocks at my birds one day...not that that are a lot of jerks out there, but you never know who is just meandering around bored, looking for some trouble to get into. Do you have a dog? If not, you might want to think of getting one, Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, German Shepherds, most of the working or herding dogs do very well caring for the feathered family and guarding the property...or even some Guineas, as I know friends that love their watchdog quality...you will know if someone is approaching your property with a bark or a guinea call. Keeping the nice neighbors in the loop is very good, fresh eggs or manure for their garden can keep a friendly rapport going. I feel so bad for you, what a crappy situation, I really hope all goes well and that there will be no more trouble.

Man oh man. Reading all 14 pages and I can safely say that I am so glad that we live on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere Missouri. All our neighbors, Amish and non Amish have a rifle sitting by each door and nobody takes kindly to their livestock being harassed let alone their family members by yahoos with pellet guns.

A local told us a story about a neighbor of his calling the sheriff about a goat that kept breaking through his neighbor's fence and getting in his garden. Sheriff showed up, listened to the guys story and said 'you called me out here about a goat? That's farmer business. You two settle it among yourselves'. I daresay if the neighbor had said that the goat's owner had shot a pellet rifle at him the story would have turned out a whole lot different.

I also had somebody ask me if we ever had any trouble with crazy neighbors. I told them no and they told me, well, if you ever do, just sit out on your front porch once a week and clean your rifle. Make sure the crazy neighbor sees you. If you can make eye contact just smile and keep cleaning. Might not hurt to let the crazy neighbor think you are just a bit crazier than they are.

All kidding aside. You do have rights and those rights have been violated, the biggest being the right to feel safe on your own property, and for your livestock to be safe at the same time.

I would be contacting the district attorney for your area and ask for a sit down with him or her. Lay your pictures out in front of them and ask him or her what they are going to do to insure your safety and the safety of your livestock.

Of course there is always going to the media if all else fails. Those people are a threat and need to be dealt with before somebody gets seriously injured. They have started with a pellet gun. What is next?

I'm so glad everyone is okay.
I don't think there should be any need to be shooting back at a neighbor. If you are afraid that you're in danger, get inside and call 911. Get some cameras! If it ever happens again you can always show the police the footage. I'm glad your other neighbors know and I'm hoping it will all get figured out. Stay safe and God bless! :fl

And just as an aside, there's really no such thing as a "hollow point" pellet... pellets are ALL hollow as that creates the pocket for the air to propel them from the gun.

Sorry you're dealing with this, and there's no simple or easy solution. The cops should have searched and found the pellets as evidence. You absolutely should put up cameras to detect and record/provide evidence of trespass. I suggest that you have DH accompany you to the coop the next time you go out there and the crazy neighbor is evident. See how he takes it when the pellets are flying around his head. Be aware that should you decide to return fire, the next time that bat $hit neighbor fires in your direction may be a real firearm. Only shoot back if you intend to terminate the target.
They are called hollow points
They blow a potato to a million pieces
Screenshot_20180217-212801.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom