Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

Then I Will

Songster
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Annville, Pennsylvania
I thought I was going a bit bonkers yesterday, when I came home from my in-laws house to find two of my roosters out of the pen with the pen door shut but unlatched.
I carefully caught them and put them up on their roosts, not thinking to check for injuries. Then I got a gut feeling, and upon investigation, found a fresh trail through the leaves leading down to my neighbor's property. A broken branch. Fresh. Wet. This same neighbor had cursed me out two mornings ago for no apparent reason- but I assumed, it was because he didn't like my roosters' crowing. The EE is pretty loud, but only when you're near the coop.
His house is over 100 yards away, and across a road, and separated by trees. And, the four roos spend a majority of the time crowing inside the coop which is fairly insulated and very dampening to their crows. It's so slight and faint within the walls of my own house, that I can't imagine it bothers anyone else inside their house- since I'm closest to the coop out of any neighbor.

But... we can't be paranoid and accuse our neighbors, husband told me last night.
This morning I go out to take care of my chickens, and I'm tidying up the coop for a customer --who is scheduled to come purchase one of the four Roos this afternoon-- when I begin hearing repeated pellet shots. So I step out and look around the backside of the coop to see the two men who live there pumping their pellet guns and shooting at my roosters.

As soon as they see me, the son begins walking forward, still pumping the gun, cursing at me about how I need to shut the chickens up and how they're waking him up every morning. I stand there with my hands out like, "What? Seriously? This is childish? You're going to shoot pellet guns at my roosters and if you injure them, then what? Get a real job and then you won't be around to hear any crowing and shoot at a stay at home mom!" I was in disbelief that someone was shooting at my birds!
They proceed to curse and fire pellets in my direction, so I retreat to my house without exchanging any words, and call my husband before trying 911. We had considered going down to talk to the neighbor and see what could be done to make them happy after the first cursing-out incident.

A while later, five troopers show up and... well, I'll spare you the details. Let's just say that sometimes the two legged varmints are your chickens' worst enemies.

I thought I was going a bit bonkers yesterday, when I came home from my in-laws house to find two of my roosters out of the pen with the pen door shut but unlatched.
I carefully caught them and put them up on their roosts, not thinking to check for injuries. Then I got a gut feeling, and upon investigation, found a fresh trail through the leaves leading down to my neighbor's property. A broken branch. Fresh. Wet. This same neighbor had cursed me out two mornings ago for no apparent reason- but I assumed, it was because he didn't like my roosters' crowing. The EE is pretty loud, but only when you're near the coop.
His house is over 100 yards away, and across a road, and separated by trees. And, the four roos spend a majority of the time crowing inside the coop which is fairly insulated and very dampening to their crows. It's so slight and faint within the walls of my own house, that I can't imagine it bothers anyone else inside their house- since I'm closest to the coop out of any neighbor.

But... we can't be paranoid and accuse our neighbors, husband told me last night.
This morning I go out to take care of my chickens, and I'm tidying up the coop for a customer --who is scheduled to come purchase one of the four Roos this afternoon-- when I begin hearing repeated pellet shots. So I step out and look around the backside of the coop to see the two men who live there pumping their pellet guns and shooting at my roosters.

As soon as they see me, the son begins walking forward, still pumping the gun, cursing at me about how I need to shut the chickens up and how they're waking him up every morning. I stand there with my hands out like, "What? Seriously? This is childish? You're going to shoot pellet guns at my roosters and if you injure them, then what? Get a real job and then you won't be around to hear any crowing and shoot at a stay at home mom!" I was in disbelief that someone was shooting at my birds!
They proceed to curse and fire pellets in my direction, so I retreat to my house without exchanging any words, and call my husband before trying 911. We had considered going down to talk to the neighbor and see what could be done to make them happy after the first cursing-out incident.

A while later, five troopers show up and... well, I'll spare you the details. Let's just say that sometimes the two legged varmints are your chickens' worst enemies.
Oh my goodness! I’m so glad you’re safe, I feel horrible for you. It must have been really scary. I hope it never happens again!

Omg! That is just horrible. Don't spare the details. . . what did the officers say?

Wow - that's scary! Certainly not the kind of neighbors anyone wants. There's no need to be shooting at you or your chickens. It would have been nice if they had tried talking to you and your husband, or if they felt it was necessary, complaining to the authorities. To just start letting your roosters out, and shooting at you and your roosters is dangerous and frightening.
That said, if I were in your position, I would just get rid of my roosters. Please keep in mind that some people don't work "normal" hours. Someone working a swing shift or night shift is not going to appreciate a rooster crowing while they're trying to sleep. In all fairness to them, night after night of disrupted sleep could make a person very cranky, and push their limits. Not condoning what they did, but if your roosters are disrupting the neighbors' sleep, it would be neighborly of you to get rid of them.

Wow - that's scary! Certainly not the kind of neighbors anyone wants. There's no need to be shooting at you or your chickens. It would have been nice if they had tried talking to you and your husband, or if they felt it was necessary, complaining to the authorities. To just start letting your roosters out, and shooting at you and your roosters is dangerous and frightening.
That said, if I were in your position, I would just get rid of my roosters. Please keep in mind that some people don't work "normal" hours. Someone working a swing shift or night shift is not going to appreciate a rooster crowing while they're trying to sleep. In all fairness to them, night after night of disrupted sleep could make a person very cranky, and push their limits. Not condoning what they did, but if your roosters are disrupting the neighbors' sleep, it would be neighborly of you to get rid of them.

On one hand, I agree with you... as I've worked shift work when I was in the military. However, the neighborly thing to have done was for the neighbor to come over and talk to her in a polite manner explaining the situation. Not starting it off with a curse laden screaming fit to follow it up with the pellet guns...
I find nothing wrong with what she has done in this situation.

I hope the cops ran them "downtown" to the "grey bar hotel"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom