My Neighbors Chickens

SimonChicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Markyate, London England
Being a first time chicken owner i didn't do enough research. My run is divided from my neighbours by chicken wire at the bottom of my garden, he is looking to downsize his flock and offered me some SL wynadottes around the same age as my own flock. i have only just heard of quarantining chickens and thought is it still worth doing even though they have been in direct contact from the beginning? any ideas or suggestions would be great as I'm rather new to keeping chickens. They are just kept for eggs and my own entertainment if that affects the circumstances.

If they are currently in direct contact and have been in direct contact I don't understand the need to quarentine now.

If they are currently in direct contact and have been in direct contact I don't understand the need to quarentine now.

X2
Quarantine is as far from your flock as possible for 2-4 weeks.
Preferably a minimum of 40 feed but lots of things can travel farther than that through the air.

Another thing you have to do is lose the chicken wire. It won't keep predators out. It only keeps chickens in.

Last edited:
Your welcome. If you bring in other chickens from another source, those should be quarentined. There needs to be actual seperation, not just a common fence. Effective quarentine is also no clothes even shoes worn in the area of the new chickens can be worn in the area of the current chickens.

I don't have a set up to quarentine, so the only new chickens I bring in are eggs or day olds.

Back
Top Bottom