My Neighbors Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SimonChicken, Dec 28, 2013.

1. SimonChicken

SimonChicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Markyate, London England
    Being a first time chicken owner i didn't do enough research. My run is divided from my neighbours by chicken wire at the bottom of my garden, he is looking to downsize his flock and offered me some SL wynadottes around the same age as my own flock. i have only just heard of quarantining chickens and thought is it still worth doing even though they have been in direct contact from the beginning? any ideas or suggestions would be great as I'm rather new to keeping chickens. They are just kept for eggs and my own entertainment if that affects the circumstances.

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    If they are currently in direct contact and have been in direct contact I don't understand the need to quarentine now.

3. SimonChicken

Dec 28, 2013
    Markyate, London England
    I thought as much, that's what you get for getting all your information from "keeping poultry" 1968 from your grandad. Thank you for the swift reply anyway :)

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    Quarantine is as far from your flock as possible for 2-4 weeks.
    Preferably a minimum of 40 feed but lots of things can travel farther than that through the air.

Another thing you have to do is lose the chicken wire. It won't keep predators out. It only keeps chickens in.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. SimonChicken

Dec 28, 2013
    Markyate, London England
    The Chicken wire is for that exact purpose as my garden leads out onto the road which I don't want them going near.

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Your welcome. If you bring in other chickens from another source, those should be quarentined. There needs to be actual seperation, not just a common fence. Effective quarentine is also no clothes even shoes worn in the area of the new chickens can be worn in the area of the current chickens.

I don't have a set up to quarentine, so the only new chickens I bring in are eggs or day olds.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm just making sure you have something more substantial at night. Just trying to help.

8. SimonChicken

Dec 28, 2013
    Markyate, London England
    Oh sorry I should have explained they free range, with coops they get locked in at night. I live in England so the only real predator is a fox.

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    cool
    We have a bazillion predators

10. SimonChicken

Dec 28, 2013
    Markyate, London England
    Actually I'm not sure free range is the right word, but they have chicken wire or panels all around them with coops inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by