My neighbor's rooster is stealing my hens

FlockOfBrunettes

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2022
My neighbor's rooster kept going to my property and attacking my cockerel. When the rooster dominated over my cockerel, he stole my hens and my hens hasn't lay eggs since because they follow him everywhere. I already catched the rooster but he never learns. It has been 3 weeks. I'm thinking of buying the rooster from my neighbor and cook it but then my neighbor's hens will lose a rooster meaning they will make a lot of noise that would attract my cockerel into going to their property. What should I do?

This looks like a potential arms race. Pen your hens and get a larger healthier rooster to keep with them. Upon release expect a rooster fight with your intervention helping your rooster keep neighbor's rooster at bay. It is difficult to keep neighboring flocks from exchanging birds on their own accord. The hens also are making choices that conflict with your preferences.

When your neighbor's rooster won the fight, it earned him the breeding right's to you hen's. Since they are now following him everywhere, he is now telling or showing them where to lay those egg's at. Unless you are able to keep your hen's away from that rooster by containing them where he cannot get to them, it will continue to happen.

Fence your hens into where you want them to stay and fence your neighbor's rooster out of where you don't want him to be.

If necessary, contact Animal Control. Your neighbor has the responsibility to keep his animals on his own property and off yours.
I agree with your posting 99.44% :hugs

The little bit I don't agree with is what I drew line thru. Yes,,, animal control is fine to be called for predators like loose dogs or such,,, but not for roosters,, and OP's chickens following the rooster to his pad. Those hens fall into same violation.
I like to keep authorities out of any personal business as much as possible.
You may have heard the term.. "STONG FENCES MAKE STONG NEIGHBORS"
Authorities may find more things in violation with your own flock,,, than the one being complained about. :idunno

I agree with your posting 99.44% :hugs

The little bit I don't agree with is what I drew line thru. Yes,,, animal control is fine to be called for predators like loose dogs or such,,, but not for roosters,, and OP's chickens following the rooster to his pad. Those hens fall into same violation.
I like to keep authorities out of any personal business as much as possible.
You may have heard the term.. "STONG FENCES MAKE STONG NEIGHBORS"
Authorities may find more things in violation with your own flock,,, than the one being complained about. :idunno

I respect that.

But I feel that if discussing the problem with the neighbor has had no effect, revealing that the neighbor has no intent to contain his stray animal regardless of your requests then you have to have a recourse.

Back
Top Bottom