My Neighbors Rooster

Hello.....Drakes do protect their Hens they like...I know because it happens here....Hens will chase other Hens from her favourite Drake also....Wild Mallards with and do try to take domestic Duck Hens...It happened here this spring...Yes, Roosters and Drakes fight and a Rooster can kill a Duck....Never happened here but at a friends place...
I am leaving this thread...
To the original poster...Get rid of that persons Rooster and I wish you all the best....:frow

In the past, I have had to warn a neighbor about her hens coming onto my property in the past, though we kept our driveway gate closed and they never got past that, but they were on the road that surrounds our property behind the coop where we used to house our birds. Of course, one was taken by a fox and the other one died of neglect/malnutrition, as far as I can tell. But, I would not tolerate someone's chickens coming near mine for the simple reason of disease transference. It would be toast, I'm afraid (or stew) if it was on my property.

I had a problem with a stray rooster coming in my yard. He would chase and attack my rooster and try to mate with my hens if they were out. I had to keep my flock penned unless they were under direct supervision. He mysteriously disappeared one morning.... ;)

It is quite a nuisance and you should not have to put up with him on your property regardless.

We had a stray rooster and it was ugly. My top roo and the stray nearly killed each other. They attacked each other's eyes and wattles and it ended with my rooster losing an eye before I was able to separate them and ship that stray roo to a friend's house(she was looking for one to fertilize eggs). I also had a banty roo that would attack wild turkeys that popped into our yard. That same banty roo was also leaving his ladies here during the day to check out the neighbor's standard breeds! I've seen firsthand the damage they can do in the name of dominance. I would hate to have to pen my entire flock because of one intruder, so I get you on that. If my neighbor penned up his birds, but not because of my roo(an owl took him out), but because his were constantly crossing the road and almost getting hit by cars-probably to check out the handsome Brahma roo across the street! I do hope your neighbor finds some common ground.

Rooster looks like a Black sexlink to me. And doubt he was the killer. Roosters don't jump on the back to kill, that's how they mate or show dominance. When a rooster attacks, he jumps and sticks his legs out and kicks, turning the spurs into weapons. A rooster attack would be bloody, and there would be a lot of visible damage. More likely that something got your drake (weasel, coon, or fox) and the rooster came to his defense, scaring off the predator.

I'm almost positive at this point it was the rooster, I've been reading up on predators and coons pop the heads off mostly, weasels suck the blood, never in my three years of living at my house have I ever had a chicken disappear. Also, if it were a predator it would have been back by now, or at least have some evidence of the attacker, if indeed the the rooster did help. It's all too coincidental that the day before that rooster was showing dominance, crowing and flapping his wings together and puffing out his chest. This has been a problem now for 3 months but he never got that close to our chickens just hangout crowing in the drive way (which is also another sign of dominance). Only 3 days (in a row) had he been interacting with our flock, he wound run to them. He only has 2 hens of his own and he prolly got bored. But from my experience and what i've read, roosters need 15 to 20 hens, and the more a rooster crows the more dominance they show. My drakes and rooster would not go near this rooster and my drake was attacked near where I feed them. I'm pretty sure my drake was just trying to eat and the stupid rooster was being territorial. I know what roosters are capable of because I had to get rid of a rooster because he kept chasing and attacking my drake. I called the police because he was back in my yard yesterday, but was acting strange and not coming past the driveway again, and the police said I can't kill it or trap it because it's someone else's property. All I can do is build a fence at my expense. It is really upsetting the whole thing, but regardless if the rooster killed my drake or not, which I'm pretty positive he did, I don't want him in my yard and at this point I'm just looking for advice on how to keep him out that's not going to cost me a fortune. Building a fence around my 3 acres is just not realistic and even if I did pin my flock up I don't want the rooster at my house waking me up at 6:30 every morning! What should I do about that? The police said I can't trap him and set him free somewhere because that's "stealing someones property" and I can't kill him because "that's animal abuse". I just got so mad I hung up on him, I pay taxes on my property and I should have a say on what to do with trespassers. I have asked my neighbor over 5 times (both over the phone and in person) to keep him locked up....

Animal Control can pick him up as a nuisance animal. Assuming you have some sort of animal control in your part of the world.

Back
Top Bottom