My Neighbors Rooster

Crabtree33

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2017
My neighbors new rooster has been coming over to my house and hanging out with my hens and ducks. Now, this is a huge rooster. The biggest I've ever seen, I'm not sure what breed he is but he's a more so white chicken with black markings, resembles a Plymouth Rock Rooster. Anyways, Iv'e chased him off countless times and asked my neighbor to keep him pinned up but he always returns. I don't want him in my yard because he eats all my food for my birds and I have 2 drakes and a rooster and I don't want any problems. Anyways one day instead of chasing him off right away I decided to observe him to see if he was going to be a problem and I watched him for about 5 minutes with my flock. He would puff out his chest, and flap his wings continuously, my drakes and rooster stayed far away from him. At the time I chalked it up to him just being a bird, then chased him off. The very next day I left my house at 6:30 fed my birds and did not return to my house until about 3 or 4 and noticed my drake mallard was missing which was very strange that he would leave his female mallard alone, so I got worried. I found him dead upside down, missing an eye, feathers everywhere about 10 yards away from where I fed them, but the feather trail started there. The grass was all matted around him and I found a few of my neighbor's rooster's feathers near him as well. My first thought was it was that damn rooster, so I marched down to my neighbors and confronted her and showed her the crime scene. She at first blamed coyotes, then a fungus that kills water fowl. She claimed that she chased her rooster out of my yard at 4:30 that morning and thats why his feathers are there. BUT my husband is up and getting ready at 4:30 in the morning and says that she wasn't there and that he saw the drake mallard alive and well that morning. I also, read about the fungus that kills water fowl and it would have spread to my other 5 ducks. There was no blood on my mallard, he was very stiff and he was missing a bunch of feathers from under his wing, he was upside down and it looked like he put up a fight, his feathers are everywhere big clumps of them. What do you think? I have given all the evidence I have and there was something brown on his back when flipped over but I looked like dirt. Another thing is I keep my big ducks (4) pinned up because they wonder off and when I got home one of my big white ducks, who is still not bigger then this rooster was free. Does anyone know anything? Any advice? My neighbor swears up and down her rooster just could not have done such a thing because he was raised with ducks and he loves ducks. I don't know the breed of this rooster but can take and post a picture if he comes back

For those of you saying you seriously doubt the rooster did it then why was he establishing pecking order the day before? Why all of a sudden those 3 days he began coming over one of my MALE ducks die? Why were this roosters feathers at the scene of the crime? My duck was smushed into the ground which is how roosters kill, the jump on the back and squish it and they pull out feathers from the wing. Nothing is adding up, I have learned nothing is a coincidence and why I may never know exactly what happened it all points to her rooster. I asked her to keep him away for this exact reason, and then she lies about his whereabouts. I do like the idea of a trail cam though. I don't doubt her rooster did it at all, I saw something similar with another of my chickens but I saw what happened and it was wild turkeys, they decapitated my chicken and I would have thought it'd be the turkey but her roosters feathers were intwined with my ducks. I was reading more on rooster's aggressive behavior and they crow to show dominance and the more they crow the more dominate they are, her rooster crows all the time. Also, he had 2 hens of his own but continues to bother mine. I don't want him at my house and I never did.

I totally agree with you....My only difference would be to Catch and cull her Rooster.....Nothing messes with my Birds or me....Next door they got a puppy last year...He came and chased my Chickens...I chased the Pup and the owner off with a Rake and warned him if his dog comes back....His Pup will be under a shovel...

I had a problem with a stray rooster coming in my yard. He would chase and attack my rooster and try to mate with my hens if they were out. I had to keep my flock penned unless they were under direct supervision. He mysteriously disappeared one morning.... ;)

It is quite a nuisance and you should not have to put up with him on your property regardless.

For those of you saying you seriously doubt the rooster did it then why was he establishing pecking order the day before? Why all of a sudden those 3 days he began coming over one of my MALE ducks die? Why were this roosters feathers at the scene of the crime? My duck was smushed into the ground which is how roosters kill, the jump on the back and squish it and they pull out feathers from the wing. Nothing is adding up, I have learned nothing is a coincidence and why I may never know exactly what happened it all points to her rooster. I asked her to keep him away for this exact reason, and then she lies about his whereabouts. I do like the idea of a trail cam though. I don't doubt her rooster did it at all, I saw something similar with another of my chickens but I saw what happened and it was wild turkeys, they decapitated my chicken and I would have thought it'd be the turkey but her roosters feathers were intwined with my ducks. I was reading more on rooster's aggressive behavior and they crow to show dominance and the more they crow the more dominate they are, her rooster crows all the time. Also, he had 2 hens of his own but continues to bother mine. I don't want him at my house and I never did.

He was fighting off the Rooster...He was a Drake protecting his territory and his Hen..He would not fly away...

Heres another thing, my neighbor has penned her rooster up and I haven't seen him in 2 days now and I have had no problems. I feel if it were a chicken hawk or another predator they would be back. Everything had been very calm, except my last mallard (female) had been very depressed. She hasn't been swimming, she hasn't been with the rest of the ducks, she just been alone and has no interest to be around any of the other animals, can a duck be depressed?

Hello.....Drakes do protect their Hens they like...I know because it happens here....Hens will chase other Hens from her favourite Drake also....Wild Mallards with and do try to take domestic Duck Hens...It happened here this spring...Yes, Roosters and Drakes fight and a Rooster can kill a Duck....Never happened here but at a friends place...
I am leaving this thread...
To the original poster...Get rid of that persons Rooster and I wish you all the best....:frow

Back
Top Bottom