My Neighbors Rooster

Rooster looks like a Black sexlink to me. And doubt he was the killer. Roosters don't jump on the back to kill, that's how they mate or show dominance. When a rooster attacks, he jumps and sticks his legs out and kicks, turning the spurs into weapons. A rooster attack would be bloody, and there would be a lot of visible damage. More likely that something got your drake (weasel, coon, or fox) and the rooster came to his defense, scaring off the predator.

When you go through all these steps, you are building grounds needed for a civil case. It is unlikely you will be able to get anything for loss of duck because at least some people will agree with me. When it comes to more measurable impacts such as rooster trespassing, noise, feed consumed and potential production of eggs with genetics you do not want, then you may have a case.

I am all about keeping chickens free-range and do some to the extreme. It is messy. Relationships with neighbors can be strained when animals cross property boundaries. In practice I have seen and found SSS is the low road. People do not ignore me because I do not shut up and I approach them in good faith with issues. Those conducting SSS have better sound bites but not much in the way of respect and are more likely to repeat the process. Bullets cost little. Digging wholes is a lot of work.

May I ask where you are located? That is absolutely ridiculous you cannot defend your animals on your own property! That's not how it is here in Indiana... heck last year police dispatch told me to go ahead and shoot the neighbor's dog since I was having so many problems with it and the owners were aware of the issue but not doing anything about it.
In most areas you can kill trespassing animal in the act of causing damage while on your property. You can not kill one for simply trespassing. Dogs going after stock are a lot easier to justify killing than going after a neighbors stock grazing on your pasture or breeding your prize cows. OP needs to look closely at state and county laws to see particulars of how to do this. I can not see how one can justify simply killing the stock (rooster). What I think would be legal is capturing and confining said animal while properly cared for and informing owner and law enforcement of the situation. How things go beyond that are a function of how rules operate.

Not all law enforcement officers are in now about livestock related laws. Double check them. What may have already occurred is OP came across as overly upset which certainly the case in postings. Time to calm down. The rooster is not the real problem and challenges keeping chickens will be realized long after the loose rooster issue is resolved. There will not be much benefit in keeping free-range birds when getting worked up so easily. OP is yet to recognize depredation caused by wildlife, assuming it has been realized.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask where you are located? That is absolutely ridiculous you cannot defend your animals on your own property! That's not how it is here in Indiana... heck last year police dispatch told me to go ahead and shoot the neighbor's dog since I was having so many problems with it and the owners were aware of the issue but not doing anything about it.
I am located in Idaho

I'd like to provide the perfect answer, but I don't have one.

If money is a concern, look around and see what you have on hand right now that can work as a make shift barrier. I use old sheets and scraps of materials to become wind driven and visual barriers.

Don't laugh too hard, but when guys come over, I ask them to pee out in the yard. I usually will give them a specific location. On several occasions, I have gone outside and smelled urine (from a predator) in various locations. I have someone pee on the same area. It only takes a time or two before the predator doesn't come back. I don't know how well it will work with the rooster, but it's a start.

Do you have anything that you can make a cage/trap/containment do hickey thingy for the rooster? If he's trapped during the day, then you know he won't be bothering your guys. At night, take him back (carrying him if you can) to the neighbors and say you found him wandering your property again. Repeat.

I understand the desire to let your animals free range. I do. Most of my animals free range and they love it. I have had to be creative in how I set things up to protect them, while giving them freedom.

This is an odd ball option - have you considered feeding him? Maybe he's super hungry. Roosters can get so cranky when they are hungry! Put out water for him? Set up a fenced/safe area for him when he wanders onto your property?

Please let us know what you try and how it works. At the end of the day, please try to find balance.

I am sorry that your drake died. Have a service for him and thank him for being such a wonderful, wonderful friend to you.

Back
Top Bottom