My new automatic feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Royd, May 27, 2011.

1. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I've built several gravity feeders, recently, since I had to be away for a couple of weeks, and the lady tending everything told me that my 50 chickens went through about 70 lb. of feed, in five days....I knew I had to do something.

After some research, I settled on a Moultrie 30 gallon feeder. It can feed up to six times a day, and has a run time from 0 - 20 seconds, dispensing about 1lb. every 5 seconds...It cost $200 at the local sporting goods/ hunting supply store.

It broadcasts about a 20' diameter.
    It runs on a 6 volt battery, and gives you a readout on the remaining charge.

I think I'm going to be happy with it.

[​IMG]

2. 2 britts

2 britts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    If it works for wild birds why not for barnyard birds ! Great idea,you may have started something here.

3. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    I've been curious as to if anyone used these feeders for poultry use. Can you regulate the broadcast diameter to a smaller diameter?

4. Doctor T

Doctor T Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Missouri
    Great idea!

5. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:The legs come in snap together sections, so you could control it that way, or I guess you could hang a small tarp or shield of some kind, around it...I did think about that, because you can buy the same thing, in a fish feeder, for catfish and such, that only casts it in one direction, in about a 20 degree arc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by