My new babies are agressive... HELP!

Happy Chicken Mama

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
Florida
To my surprise when my 12 baby chicks showed up they were not 12 but 18! The Hatchery added 6 extra boys for warmth. These boys are definitely more "boisterous" than the others. They are constantly pecking and puffing up at each other and the smaller babies. They do not like to be held like the others.

My concern is that the others seem to be patterning after these guys and getting more aggressive by the day (well... they are only 6 days old).

I am committed to our chickens being sweet and family friendly. We will not be able to keep Roosters once they start cocka-doodle-doodling... should I separate them sooner rather than later??? Will not having the boys keep my girls sweet??? Even my 2 little bantam girls are puffing and pecking right back to these boys. Not very ladylike behavior. But maybe this is normal.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I would separate them. It's normal chicken behavior, but it's easier to tame your girls when they aren't also dealing with putting little roos in their places.

If you aren't going to keep any of the roos, maybe someone else would want them?

Thank you. Especially for making me feel like my chickens were normal. The Roos do respond to me snaping at them or seperating them during their spats. But I would like the girls to not have to put up a fight (or a puff). I would like to give away the boys if any one would want them. I am seperating them today... I'll give an update.

The Roos really are sweet (one most of all) and very curious. They love using my husband as a jungle gym. They climb up on him and fly off like a diving board. They even stand in line to do it again! He really should put a Disney world entrance sign on his forehead!

I'll try to post a picture... still havent figured out how to make the picture small enough to post.

Thanks again!

ps... if anyone wants six sweet roos in Central Florida I'll bring them to you!
We live in Gainesville, FL.

roll.png
lol.png
tongue.png
wink.png
big_smile.png
smile.png
cool.png
My Sweet Boys

Back
Top Bottom