My new baby call ducks!

jkcove08

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Iowa
Well, they started pipping 2 days ago and now I have 2 wonderful little duckies!!! I have 1 more egg that I have opened the shell on but I dont know if it is just not strong enough or something else. I truely hope I can save this one too since it looks to be all yellow. These are the 2 that have hatched so far. Jenn
017.jpg

015-4.jpg

022-2.jpg

I will be selling some of these wonderful little eggs later this spring. These little guys are in with 3 silkie cross chicks that are a week old and they are bigger then the ducklings..LOL I never thought ducklings could be soooo tiny. I will post more pics late. I have a 3rd duckling that I have helped hatch part way. Dont know if it will make it but I sure hope so. It is all yellow. All 3 of these came from the same mom and dad and all 3 are different colors. The duckling in the first pic is lighted striped then the one in the second.. Jenn

I am hopefully getting 10 cayuga ducklings this spring.. I have a fella that willbe hatching them out if all goes well. I am getting 7 regular ones and I hope 3 creasted. I think they are very pretty!! The calls can be loud but not to bad. Jenn

They are adorable. Are they grey calls? I have 6 calls i have to pick up from my parents home in Iowa. I would like to get them before they start laying so i can hatch some out. I have read that calls are hard to hatch and have a low hatch rate. This will be a new journey for me with ducks.

I am not sure what colors you would call them, I guess they are crosses. Here is a pic of the parents.
030-1.jpg

That is a standard spagetti pot that you get when you buy a set. The one day the hen was actually swimming in it but I didnt get the camera fast enough. I had 4 eggs and 3 developed. I was lucky to hatch any since I didnt check to realize calls can hatch around day 26. I was going on the regular 28 and candled on day 25 to realize that one of them had already pipped the airsac. Later that evening it pipped the shell for the first time. I am also using a lyon T6 so that might have a little to do with it. I love the little buggers. My hen had quit laying when we ran out of LP for a week in the kennel and it got 32 degrees, I am now waiting for her to start again and I also bought 2 more hens that amazingly are even a little smaller then she is so I will hopefully have 3 laying in the next week or 2. If this stupid weather ever straightens out!!!!! We got another 3 to 4 inches of snow last night into this morning. We are suppose to get more on Thursday. I can certainly quit any time...lol Thanks everyone. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom